Installing a new sub floor
So as part of my kitchen remodel I'm considering installing a new sub floor. The existing one is ship lapped boards and they creek like hell (makes it really difficult for me to sneak in via the back door). I figured that when I take out the cabinets it's a good time to replace it. I've installed a couple shed floors before, but not a house sub floor.

So what are the latest methods and materials used for a sub floor and keeping it from creeking that you would use? For instance, Any particular glue between the ply and the joists?
The joists are 16 oc (if memory serves correctly).
Thanks for the advice.
Ray
Ray
construction adhesive and screws worked well for me.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

My house was the builder's home (1953).  He used 3" x 8" throughout.  No squeaks.

You will need to determine if the squeaks are because of the subfloor or the joists.  If it is the joists, then you can sister up the joists or add an extra beam midway between the length of the joists.

I think I would make a temporary wall underneath and determine if it is the joists.  

I would hate to replace or top-off the floor with a new subfloor only to find that it was the joists all along.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-27-2018, 09:34 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: So as part of my kitchen remodel I'm considering installing a new sub floor. The existing one is ship lapped boards  and they creek like hell (makes it really difficult for me to sneak in via the back door). I figured that when I take out the cabinets it's a good time to replace it. I've installed a couple shed floors before, but not a house sub floor.

So what are the latest methods and materials used for a sub floor and keeping it from creeking that you would use? For instance, Any particular glue between the ply and the joists?
The joists are 16 oc (if memory serves correctly).
Thanks for the advice.
Ray

BTDT - as was suggested earlier, construction glue on the joists will help immensely on at least a couple of fronts, i.e. strength and elimination of squeaking. When you remove the existing sub flooring, thoroughly inspect the joists, making sure they are all secure. Depending on the span, blocking* should be installed at the prescribed intervals.

I've used 3/4" construction grade plywood for sub flooring but today the standard seems to be 3/4" T&G OSB, which works fine. You can screw it down if you like but generally it's nailed in place with 8d's. I have a framing nailer, which makes the job faster and easier.

Good luck,

Doug

* In the old days, 1x3" cross bracing was used instead of blocking, two per bay criss crossed. Ends were cut at an angle and toe-nailed into the joist with 8d's. Either method works fine.
Some of the squeak could be the joists. It was built in 57 with the metal cross bracing, so I will be giving that a good look over and maybe renforcing by replacing the nails with screws. However, I'm pretty certain that most if not all of the squeak is the sub floor. We'll see.
Ray
(07-27-2018, 12:11 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Some of the squeak could be the joists. It was built in 57 with the metal cross bracing, so I will be giving that a good look over and maybe renforcing by replacing the nails with screws. However, I'm pretty certain that most if not all of the squeak is the sub floor. We'll see.

First , walk over the floor to find squeaks. You may see nail heads that are not flush in the squeaky areas. Drive the nails home and add  two  2-1/2" screws to each board. I would use  deck screws as drywall screws are too brittle and may snap off.  After you determine if the boards are the culprit, screw the entire floor down.
Most of the time ,especially with T&G boards the nails are proud of the boards and there is a small gap between the joists and subfloor. 
My own house had squeaks all over, both floors. When we moved in we put the down stairs furniture in one room, then pulled up the carpets and I nailed the plywood subfloor with 8d ring shank nails. Same upstairs. When done we moved the furniture back and nailed the room the furniture was in. 
Your floor was probably hand nailed with 8d common nails. Lumber was probably dried to 12% or even more in those days. Joists may have shrunk as much as 5/8" .
This caused the gap which in turn made the floor squeak. I am that old ,I nailed a lot of floors in those days. Still have the dolly I sat on as I nailed the field. I did not see a pneumatic nailer for several more years. 
mike
When I did stair treads, I used rosin paper between all wood to wood areas. That pretty much eliminated squeaking.

I worked on a house that had subfloors of pressboard---that stuff delaminated and squeaked internally. There are several squeak fix/control methods---I used many in the effort to stop the squeaking in that house---to no avail.
No
(07-27-2018, 12:11 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Some of the squeak could be the joists. It was built in 57 with the metal cross bracing, so I will be giving that a good look over and maybe renforcing by replacing the nails with screws. However, I'm pretty certain that most if not all of the squeak is the sub floor. We'll see.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/floor-jo...-projects/

If the 2 x 8s span more than  12' 8'', then you are at or above recommended spans.   If that is the case, then sister-up or add a beam.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have 2x10 joists at 16 oc with about 11ft of span.
Looks like my house is a little better than the recommended in that regard.
Ray
Most of my squeaks was where the nail just skimmed the side of the joist.  If you have access from below knock them back up and pull.   I then screwed down the the sub floor.   No squeaks.   Roly