Getting screw to hold in side of Coleman cooler
Had to move work cooler from trailer to the back of truck and now it is sliding everywhere on bed liner. I tried a luggage strap but it kept sliding down the side of the cooler. I need to add some tie down points. What can I put in the shell of a cooler that will hold and not pull through. Is a toggle bolt the right answer? I also thought of something like a Command hook. It has a handle design that won't fare well to lateral pulls. It is a $40 buck Coleman. I started to get a Yeti,Rtic,Canyon,Engle type that had tie downs  but they are heavy and expensive so I would end up having to lock it in place and that would be a pain.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Build a shallow box of plywood and 1x4's that the cooler will sit in. Secure the box or tray or whatever you want to call it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(08-18-2018, 10:56 AM)blackhat Wrote: Build a shallow box of plywood and 1x4's that the cooler will sit in. Secure the box or tray or whatever you want to call it.

That is what I had in the trailer. Easy to secure to the trailer rail. Bed liner is more difficult. I want it to be removable. I guess I could make the base The width of the bed, but that seems like a poor design.
Place a non-skid rubber mat between the cooler and the bed liner. If you want to fasten hold-downs to the cooler, pop-rivet them.
Wood is good. 
Attach a D-ring to the side with epoxy.
Bob
I must be missing something. You could secure the cooler if you had rings on it but you can't secure a box to set the cooler in???
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(08-18-2018, 01:42 PM)blackhat Wrote: I must be missing something. You could secure the cooler if you had rings on it but you can't secure a box to set the cooler in???

I get that. I just would like the option of moving the cooler around from bed to cab to back on the trailer if needed and be able to secure it. The box will work , but it is just another thing to deal with. i may end up building a second box for the truck so I can move it back and forth. Just looking for options.
Why not just a couple of eye bolts mounted high with fender washers on the inside and outside with some caulk/silicone to seal, Locktite the interior bolts and cut off any extended length. Run bungee cords or cord through them and secure. Cheap, simple, won't compromise use.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Yeti coolers allow the use of tie-downs (straps) and bungees and also a security lock.  These are super-insulated chests with durable hinges and latches.  And they are expensive, but probably worth it.  Dick's Sporting Goods sells them.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&b...O-H5JNq5GQ

And a review:

http://thecoolerbox.com/problems-yeti-coolers/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-21-2018, 08:01 AM)Cooler Wrote: Yeti coolers allow the use of tie-downs (straps) and bungees and also a security lock.  These are super-insulated chests with durable hinges and latches.  And they are expensive, but probably worth it.  Dick's Sporting Goods sells them.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&b...O-H5JNq5GQ

And a review:

http://thecoolerbox.com/problems-yeti-coolers/

I thought about it, but the $250 gave me pause. I can guarantee it would get stolen out of the back of the truck. Judging by the numerous cooler locks they sell, it must be common.