Forgive me father, for I must sin. I need a...paint sprayer
Should you decide to brush, consider adding Penetrol (if using oil base/alkyd paint). Really helps eliminate brush marks and does not thin the paint. Lowes has it stocked locally (haven't checked SW or BM, etc, because I already own the marine grade topside paint I plan to use).
Comparable product for latex paint is Floetrol (which is in stock at our local HD)
Reading this thread with interest as I have several bookcases I need to paint.

I am going to give stilinsm's approach a shot with the 2.5mm conversion gun and the BM paint.

My sister is currently using the same BM paint and primer to (hand) paint her kitchen cabinets. Surface finish looks pretty good, even with the orange peel texture from using a roller.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(08-11-2018, 01:55 PM)MKepke Wrote: Reading this thread with interest as I have several bookcases I need to paint.

I am going to give stilinsm's approach a shot with the 2.5mm conversion gun and the BM paint.

My sister is currently using the same BM paint and primer to (hand) paint her kitchen cabinets.  Surface finish looks pretty good, even with the orange peel texture from using a roller.

-Mark

Mark, let us know how it turned out for you.

-Scott
Thanks for the additional advice, folks!
Semper fi,
Brad

(08-02-2018, 02:46 PM)stilinsm Wrote: I just finished up spraying latex on a couple of bathroom vanities and custom mirror frame...thought I would share my experience.

Bought this $40 TCP Global HVLP conversion gun from Amazon -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NO...UTF8&psc=1  it has the larger 2.5mm tip needed for thicker material.
Used Benjamin Moore Advance Interior Paint Primer 790 and Benjamin Moore Advance Satin 792 in off the shelf white.
Thinned 10% Flotrol and 10% automotive windshield washer fluid (yes the blue stuff - it doesn't effect the paint color at all) strained through a paper paint filter for both primer and paint (Did not use the little filter that goes into the gun).
Light sanding after primer...no sanding between finish coats.
running about 40 psi at the gun.  You do get a bit of overspray, but not too bad.  Much less then the Graco pump sprayers.  
I couldn't be happier with the results.  No more brushing for me.
cleanup is a breeze.

Any other comments or updates on this old thread?  I need to paint a few items with latex, and because of the multiple surfaces I think spraying would be best.
(01-19-2019, 09:03 PM)rschissler Wrote: Any other comments or updates on this old thread?  I need to paint a few items with latex, and because of the multiple surfaces I think spraying would be best.

I just finished a built in entertainment center and I sprayed this stuff: https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/e...l-lacquer/

It turned out amazingly well with a Fuji hvlp gun and I’m a spraying novice. Even being hypercritical of my own work, it looks like a factory finish (in a good way). Can be recoated in 30 min and fully cured in like 4 days. I was able to spray in my basement without nasty fumes. Latex is way slower and can stay sticky (like for bookshelves) for a long time. 

One other comment from the thread: the cfm requirements for a conversion gun are only if you want to be able to spray continuously. If you are spraying manageable chunks of material (not trying to keep a wet edge going forever) and plan ahead you can just pause when the tank is getting low. Plus, if the compressor is putting out say 4cfm and the gun is using 5, the tank will go for a good bit before it gets low enough to mess up the finish.
The product pages says it is "water-based acrylic pigmented lacquer."

That sure is a mouthful.

I wonder what the lacquer component is all about.
Not sure, but there sure are no traditional lacquer thinners in there.
The Target Coatings are pretty killer from what a cabinet making friend had said. It's an interesting company with a relatively short history in the coatings space as you can check on their about page.

Flows excellent, their tech support is freaking amazing (call them if you've a question before you buy anything and decide for yourself, don't base a decision off a bunch of posts
Smile), and really that the product is reliable and durable are all qualities for what I like and use it.

Plus the fact you can use a crosslink binder with consumer grade spray equipment for added durability!!! That was why I used it in my kitchen remodel in 2011-12. (sadly, I moved in '13 and have no idea how it's holding up, lol.)

Give them a call, many of these folks are supportive of and quite helpful for the DIY/Hobbyist crowd that would like to raise their expectations on top coat performance
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(01-19-2019, 09:03 PM)rschissler Wrote: Any other comments or updates on this old thread?  I need to paint a few items with latex, and because of the multiple surfaces I think spraying would be best.

I am in the process of repainting all of my interior doors.  After 20 yrs of raising kids, they took a beating.  Using the same process, it takes about 15-20 minutes per door per coat, with the majority of that time used for setup and cleaning.  They turn out beautiful.  I'm painting them in my basement workshop.   You will get some over spray, so use drop clothes and have some sort of ventilation.  I built a make shift paint booth on my home built down draft table that I use to paint smaller pieces like cabinet doors, drawers, etc.