CNC, Talk me out of it or not
Very cool. Looks like you got the hang of it.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Did some more testing today.

1) first test hit the Y limit switch - thought I had more that direction.   Firewood

2) Box cut but lid fits too tight.  So I cut the inside at 4.5 and the mating part at 4.5 so it should fit. LOL more Firewood

3) After putting in .050 clearance I get the the third box.  The lid fits great but I've too much tearout and chipping so off to Woodcraft tomorrow to get a 1/4 spiral downcut bit.    I also learned it's important to place my tabs perpendicular to the grain.  

Might need to beef up the lip a little too

New knowledge gained ever day.  Glad I have tons of scrap around. I'm loving Vcarve Desktop

Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
I think you're doing great. Hang in there... the more you do the easier it becomes and you just kind of get a feel for what your machine is capable of.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I agree w/ Lumber Yard.

Whatcha putting in the box?
(09-07-2018, 04:02 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I agree w/ Lumber Yard.

Whatcha putting in the box?

Happiness!

Whatever the people who buy them want to put in it makes me happy.
Gary, Are you Planning to run two tool paths, initial with the down cut, then switch and run the upcut spiral?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

best part of getting a CNC for me was, all of a sudden my teenage boys took an interest in the shop.
Yes
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(09-12-2018, 03:04 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Gary, Are you Planning to run two tool paths, initial with the down cut, then switch and run the upcut spiral?

I think I've gotten it down to 4 tools & paths

1. Cut pockets for magnets to hold lid closed (not shown in that pic) with 1/8 em (uncut as the surface is milled down later.

2. Drill symmetrical alignment holes with 1/4 uncut em so I can align it later after I flip it.   I tried merging this with the step below and I can't drill well with a downcut bit even if you peck it.

3. Cut the inside of the case (lips, pockets) with 1/4 downcut em.  leaves a nice surface and no fuzzies.  I even cut the pieces out leaving 4 tabs on each to stabilize it.

4. Flip the part using the alignment holes

5. Vcarve the pattern on the top.

I reduced the detail in the pattern as the wood I'm carving just does not seem to be able to handle it.  Maybe if I tried a sanding sealer or similar before I cut it but that's another experiment for later. This box is at the limit of detail for cherry. If I try any finer it does not come out well.

Here is a pic of the 4.2" diameter box.

Made a trivet out of Corian today.  Took a guess at the feed rates and hit it pretty close at 30 ipm.   It's made from an old backsplash and measures 3.25" square.

What’s corona?
VH07V