jewelry boxes
I'm building jewelry boxes for the first time and trying to decide whether to line the insides with pieces of adhesive-backed felt or use the glue and flocking approach.  Any suggestions/opinions?
On the few I ever built, I used thin pigskin suede.
I've done it both ways and much prefer self-stick felt. Flocking is very messy, and the loose bits of flocking get everywhere. You probably won't get as thick a coating of flocking compared to the adhesive-backed sheets. The only advantages to flocking are it's cheaper and you get better coverage on the edges. Suede or leather are options. The last jewelry chest I made, I used leather that I cut to size and glued on. I got thin leather sheets from scrap packages sold at Michael's. Much cheaper than buying pre-cut sheets.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I always get the adhesive backed sheets. I expect they are much more durable than flocked interiors. Many years later I haven't found any delamination problems.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Flocking has always been a pain for me, and a very finicky process. I never had good results.

The self-stick felt is a snap. If I can't find the right color/texture I make my own - get the regular felt sheets at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, cut to size, and then spray the back with rattle can glue - just a little more involved and need to be careful not to put too much glue on and have it soak through to the front.

I made about 5 boxes nearly 10 years ago and used flocking over paint. I found that if you let the box sit for a few days than remove the excess flocking, it seems to hold up pretty well. So far, no complaints form those who got my jewelry boxes - and they're all still in use.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I have had very good results with flocking, by using the proper techniques.

1.  Prime the wood... I use a flat spray paint. Let it dry.
2.  Apply the flocking base, (colored paint) evenly. Use actual flocking base.
3.  Apply the crushed suede flocking* with the applicator, and OVERFLOCK.

*  I do this inside a deep rubbermade tub, the let it dry for 24 hours to insure it's set.  I then tap the underside to knock off loose flocking, then brush the flocking with a soft clean paint brush to remove any remaining loose particles.  Excess flocking can be reused if you keep a cover on the tub as the flocking base dries to keep out the dust and debris from the shop.

- a box bottom with the heavily applied flocking applied, drying in the tub.

I have consistently gotten good results.

- the bottom installed in the box, nice even color.  Accents rather than detracts.  The tray has purple heart accent, not flocking. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(09-27-2018, 08:30 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I have had very good results with flocking, by using the proper techniques.

1.  Prime the wood... I use a flat spray paint. Let it dry.
2.  Apply the flocking base, (colored paint) evenly. Use actual flocking base.
3.  Apply the crushed suede flocking* with the applicator, and OVERFLOCK.

*  I do this inside a deep rubbermade tub, the let it dry for 24 hours to insure it's set.  I then tap the underside to knock off loose flocking, then brush the flocking with a soft clean paint brush to remove any remaining loose particles.  Excess flocking can be reused if you keep a cover on the tub as the flocking base dries to keep out the dust and debris from the shop.

- a box bottom with the heavily applied flocking applied, drying in the tub.

I have consistently gotten good results.

- the bottom installed in the box, nice even color.  Accents rather than detracts.  The tray has purple heart accent, not flocking. 
Smirk

Some of us have the touch; some of us don't. Whatever works for each of us.

Personally I like a nice wood interior and don't cover it up.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
What works best for me is velvet, velveteen, or velour fabric  I begin by cutting little panels from thin cardboard to fit the bottom and sides (allow a small amount of space around the edges). I glue the fabric to the cardboard wrapping it around the edges. I then glue the fabric covered panels into the box. This can be tedious, but it provides a neat clean good looking installation.

[Image: sam0263.jpg]