Recommend grinder wheels?
Question 
I have the HF high speed grinder; I think I've owned it for 5 years or so.  I like it, and it runs great, but HOLY COW DO THE WHEELS ON IT VIBRATE.  It's so bad that I can't use the Wolverine extension for sharpening; the butt of the gouge bounces out.  I know it's not the grinder itself; I pulled the wheels off and it runs nice and smooth.  The wheels are bad.

So, I'm looking for a moderately priced set of wheels for heavy grinding and touching up turning gouges.  CBN wheels are out for the time being, but they're on the radar.  Suggestions on brand and grits I should get?  It'll be two wheels, one coarse, one fine.
Semper fi,
Brad

(12-13-2018, 01:30 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have the HF high speed grinder; I think I've owned it for 5 years or so.  I like it, and it runs great, but HOLY COW DO THE WHEELS ON IT VIBRATE.  It's so bad that I can't use the Wolverine extension for sharpening; the butt of the gouge bounces out.  I know it's not the grinder itself; I pulled the wheels off and it runs nice and smooth.  The wheels are bad.

So, I'm looking for a moderately priced set of wheels for heavy grinding and touching up turning gouges.  CBN wheels are out for the time being, but they're on the radar.  Suggestions on brand and grits I should get?  It'll be two wheels, one coarse, one fine.

Brad, I just checked Ebay and they have the white wheels at good prices..The friable white wheels are the best for ordinary tool steel and HSS but for carbide tools, the green Silicon Carbide wheels are the ticket...

One thing to reduce vibration is the use of metal bushings..instead of the plastic ones...Another tip...check for wheel run-out and use a diamond dresser to true the wheel, after testing it in different positions on the shaft..Best if you have a guide for the dressing tool rather than trying to hold it steady in your hands...You can make one out of wood that runs against the straight edge of the tool rest, or you can buy one from LV.

As a side note, I never was able to eliminate vibration on the grinder I bought from HF....Hope you have better luck..
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You don’t say what size grinder you have. Have been using Norton wheels for some time now Camel pink wheels cheaper but had problems with tool bouncing with them.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Grind...s-C20.aspx

I prefer these harder wheels for my 6” grinder both 80 & 46 grit. Have not replaced them in over five years now.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norto...01C20.aspx
Bill
I mostly use my grinder for turning tools and so use finer grit stones. I tossed the gray ones that came with it as the vibration was bad.

I got one of these 80 grit wheels for my coarse stone

And a 120 grit for my fine. It was a pink Norton, IIRC. Don't know if they still make them or not.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
The reason it runs smooth without the wheels is there is no mass to notice any runout. Place a dial gauge on the arbor shaft and turn it. If it is .003" off at the arbor, the wheels will be much farther off and you'll never get it to run smooth.
Use good trued metal bushings.

Nortons website can lead you to better wheels.
(12-13-2018, 02:05 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
Brad, I just checked Ebay and they have the white wheels at good prices..The friable white wheels are the best for ordinary tool steel and HSS but for carbide tools, the green Silicon Carbide wheels are the ticket...

One thing to reduce vibration is the use of metal bushings..instead of the plastic ones...Another tip...check for wheel run-out and use a diamond dresser to true the wheel, after testing it in different positions on the shaft..Best if you have a guide for the dressing tool rather than trying to hold it steady in your hands...You can make one out of wood that runs against the straight edge of the tool rest, or you can buy one from LV.

As a side note, I never was able to eliminate vibration on the grinder I bought from HF....Hope you have better luck..
Winkgrin

I arrived at the SiC (green) wheels after taking all kinds of advice for little result.  Have used them for the last 20 or so.  Brand is Camel. 

If you are running without wobble, true the wheels with a dresser.  If you wobble, get the bushings properly sized. If the thing still dances, get new wheels with better manufacturing density control.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Check out the Hurricane line of CBN wheels. They are a bit cheaper. If you can afford one get an 80 grit and that will get you going.

I have the 80 and 180 grit. No vibration since they are balanced well.
Don
Thanks, gents. You mentioned things that I wasn't even aware of. I'll check out the arbor and bushings.

Jarvie,

I have a limited monthly budget for ww'ing and tools; CBN wheels will take a back seat to getting my shop fleshed out, but I *really* need new wheels in the interim.
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad

I got my whole set up from Woodturners Wonders and he gave me a discount for being a vet and helping the vets.

I got the 180 CBN and 1000CBN with the Rikon grinder and his special washers that eliminate wobble.

I got this grinder https://woodturnerswonders.com/collectio...on-grinder

These washers which can be used on your grinder to.  https://woodturnerswonders.com/collectio...-piece-set

and these two wheels

https://woodturnerswonders.com/collectio...d-180-grit  and click on the box and select the wheels which I did 180/1000
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
One day, Arlin, maybe a year or so from now.
Semper fi,
Brad