Shop built lathe extension
(12-09-2018, 03:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I like it a lot.  I wonder if I can do it with my PM3520b since I have several projects that are 22" longer then my lathe.

I looked up your lathe and I think it's probably too big to have a wood extension do it justice.   You could upsize the threaded rods but I'd also consider bracing it to the floor or something.  The 20" swing would create more torque on the extension then on my little baby lathe.   Just pony up a couple grand for the 50" cast iron extension. 
Yes
WoodNET... the new safespace
(12-10-2018, 11:43 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I looked up your lathe and I think it's probably too big to have a wood extension do it justice.   You could upsize the threaded rods but I'd also consider bracing it to the floor or something.  The 20" swing would create more torque on the extension then on my little baby lathe.   Just pony up a couple grand for the 50" cast iron extension. 
Yes

Don't let him deter you.  Supporting a spindle on a live center would involve next to no mechanical stress.  No lever arm. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hba....html#torq
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-10-2018, 11:43 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I looked up your lathe and I think it's probably too big to have a wood extension do it justice.   You could upsize the threaded rods but I'd also consider bracing it to the floor or something.  The 20" swing would create more torque on the extension then on my little baby lathe.   Just pony up a couple grand for the 50" cast iron extension
Yes

You my friend are a funny man.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I am thinking of using 2x12 glued together and have the center hollowed out with two of them on the end glued and screwed as a leg on the floor with some metal adjustable feet on the bottom and rubber to help absorb the shock.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I love seeing stuff like this!
Yes 

Well done!

Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Sitting out in the barn gathering rust is a homemade lathe that will turn 8 ft. The ways are channel iron on edge and the legs are angle iron. Very heavy. I foolishly bought it at auction for $5.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(12-12-2018, 10:01 AM)Foggy Wrote: Sitting out in the barn gathering rust is a homemade lathe that will turn 8 ft. The ways are channel iron on edge and the legs are angle iron. Very heavy. I foolishly bought it at auction for $5.

Not foolish to me I would be happy or anyone else for that matter to have it. 
Yes
Yes
I would think it is $5 well spent and if you get it here I will double that. 
Big Grin   Or even triple it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(12-12-2018, 01:36 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Not foolish to me I would be happy or anyone else for that matter to have it. 
Yes
Yes
I would think it is $5 well spent and if you get it here I will double that. 
Big Grin   Or even triple it.

Can't get it there. It's too heavy for me to get it back onto the truck. Some day I might make a new shive for the motor and try it out. If I come across a block of maple or some other tight grain hardwood. Hmm, I wonder if ash would work OK? It's an old fashion flat belt drive.

Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Would love to see a picture of it sometime and when you get working on it as well. 
Yes
Yes  and again
Yes
Yes
Yes

(12-13-2018, 12:32 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Would love to see a picture of it sometime and when you get working on it as well. 
Yes
Yes  and again
Yes
Yes
Yes

Yep. Love to see a picuture.

In another life as a management consultant, I worked with a shop that had a metal lathe with a 60' bed. That was some machine!

The milling machine was about 20' high. Another humongous piece of equuipment.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I would have to find it to take a picture. Anything that holds still for a while gets covered up with other stuff piled onto it. Next May when I get the RV out to play I may be able to unload the lathe enough for pictures. Until then I will just keep you in suspense.
Big Grin