Carbide
I turn a lot of corian segmented vases and bowls. Open and closed segmeted. Does anyone sharpen their carbide cutters. A lot of my cutters were given to me by my brother inlaw. Designed for metal. All of these are cupped. Really work excellent. Round, square. hexagon and diamond. Youtube shows 1 preson sharpening the angles with a CBN wheel.Has anyone does this or have any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any sugestions.
A search on YouTube turned up a few:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...de+cutters
I use a 600g diamond file card to sharpen mine with.  I am wanting to make a jig to make it easier to hold the carbide with.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-06-2019, 12:43 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I use a 600g diamond file card to sharpen mine with.  I am wanting to make a jig to make it easier to hold the carbide with.

Same here.  I don't notice a huge difference, but it does prolong the use of the cutter.  In most carbide turning tools, you'll need to remove the cutter prior to sharpening.  I just hone the flat side.  I don't mess with the bevel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the links. Most of them show sharpening the flats and not the angle. With cupped cutters you cannot sharpen the flats. This will only make the cutters duller. I did get some help, but if anyone has any additional info it would be appreciated.
(03-06-2019, 03:33 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Thanks for the links. Most of them show sharpening the flats and not the angle. With cupped cutters you cannot sharpen the flats. This will only make the cutters duller. I did get some help, but if anyone has any additional info it would be appreciated.

Yep Flats only.  Everything else is just a waste of time and energy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(03-06-2019, 03:33 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Thanks for the links. Most of them show sharpening the flats and not the angle. With cupped cutters you cannot sharpen the flats. This will only make the cutters duller. I did get some help, but if anyone has any additional info it would be appreciated.

FWIW, I got my carbide cupped edge tooling from the machine shop up the road.  Used to be about four-six bucks a pop, now probably ten.  Given time and chance involved in sharpening, I'd buy a new one for inside work.  Flat, renewable designs work fine to hog, so the more delicate cupped is used only for finishing, though mostly I use my termite.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-05-2019, 02:54 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I turn a lot of corian segmented vases and bowls. Open and closed segmeted. Does anyone sharpen their carbide cutters. A lot of my cutters were given to me by my brother inlaw. Designed for metal. All of these are cupped. Really work excellent. Round, square. hexagon and diamond. Youtube shows 1 preson sharpening the angles with a CBN wheel.Has anyone does this or have any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any sugestions.
You may know this but you don't need a diamond or boride wheel to sharpen carbide...All you need is a "green" wheel on your bench grinder...The "green" wheels are SILICON carbide which is harder than tungsten carbide...They are pretty inexpensive also..I used to sharpen masonry bits all the time with a green wheel I kept on my bench grinder. Check amazon.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks Timberwolf. I will look into the green wheels. While HSS cutters do a very nice job on corian it really dulls the tools very quickly. Maybe not on pens being so small, but on a 10 or 12" bowl I need to spend a lot of time sharpening. It does a better job than the carbide. At least for me, which is why I usually make my last cut or 2 with HSS. Before that i use carbide almost always on the corian. Sometimes I will use carbide for removing a lot of wood on a solid wood turning. On segmented wood I almost never use the carbide because there is not as much wood to remove. Plus it is always clean with no dirt hiding anywhere on the wood
Where are you getting all of this Corian free or bought?