Using other persons tools. Warning!
Scary story. Contractor, husband of a person I know, was on a home job, and needed to make a cut with his chop saw, and on his way to his truck, another worker said to use his. At first he said no. (has a rule to only use his own tools)  then gave in. Holding the board with his left hand, as he went to make the cut, and the guard came up, a nut, or bolt (can't remember which) shot out and into his thumb!
20+ stitches!
The part that bothers me most, other than the injury, is the owner, said, something to the effect of, I meant to tighten that screw!
Good reason not to borrow or lend tools. You never can tell.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Absolutely right! Neither a borrower nor lender be......
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-08-2019, 02:20 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Absolutely right! Neither a borrower nor lender be......

Agree.  But I've alienated a few folks by not lending out tools.  Comes with the territory.  They'll get over it.  That being said, I've always said I'm willing to come over and use it for them.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have never heard a story of parts flying off of a chop saw before.  Sounds like really poor maintenance on that thing.  I hope your friend heals up well.
If the guys does that with his tools it makes me wonder how he treats his employer's tools??

I do lone out hand tools all the time and they all know I expect them back in the same shape or better.  Like my dad taught me if you borrow someone's car/toos you return it in better shape if it was only half a tank then fill it up and then give it back or clean the tool of any grease even if they were dirty in the first place.

If I ever have to borrow a hand tools I do not have I will do the same.  A few times I was going to ask to borrow a hand tool here just forgot to ask and or did it a different way since I forgot I was going to ask.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-08-2019, 03:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do lone out hand tools all the time and they all know I expect them back in the same shape or better.  Like my dad taught me if you borrow someone's car/toos you return it in better shape if it was only half a tank then fill it up and then give it back or clean the tool of any grease even if they were dirty in the first place.
Arlin, I also lend my tools.  Where I lived for 9 years, until 2 years ago, my neighbor was an injured war vet.  He struggled to make ends meet.  I don't think there was a day that all of my tools were on my own property.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Doing weekend volunteer projects I learned to be selective on who I loaned my work tools to. Some were very casual in returning them and I needed them to earn a living next week.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I loan light tools to my neighbors, but saws are often too heavy to leave my shop. I have been asked to make cuts for them, since I know what I am doing. Miter saws are scary machines...youtube is full of guys using the saws with their hands holding workpieces inside the "Danger" zones as marked on the saw tables.

Simon
I had a neighbor who would rather do the job than loan a tool. He finally caught on that one of his "friends" was totally taking advantage of him.

By the same token my neighbor hated to borrow tools. He ran out of clamps one day in the middle of a glue up and borrowed some of mine. He returned them a little to quickly, probably before the glue was really dry. He had gone to Lowes and bought his own so he could return mine before lunch.

We were neighbors for 10 years, and although he moved to Florida four years ago we still stay in touch.

--
See ya later,
Bill
Harbor Freight? I've heard of that happening to their chop saws.