Wood floors vs vinyl plank
I love solid wood floors but SWMBO is positive they will show wear, dog scratches and sun fade so she’s picking some vinyl plank stuff and. Good quality but not wood

Anyone have any experience with both?

If the wood is sanded in place and gets three coats of urethane floor finish how well would it hold up?
(03-09-2019, 12:29 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I love solid wood floors but
SWMBO is positive they will show wear, dog scratches and sun fade so she’s picking some vinyl plank stuff and. Good quality but not wood

Anyone have any experience with both?  

If the wood is sanded in place and gets three coats of urethane floor finish how well would it hold up?

My son has both.  He installed the vinyl planks himself about a year ago. The wood oak flooring was there when he bought the house about four years ago.

He has dogs. Not sure about scratches but his older dog is 15 and has started to lose bladder control.
On the vinyl (waterproof) it is just a “relaxed” wipe up, spray clean, job.  On the oak, it is a “hurry and soak it up, disinfect and dry it up”.  They have one noticeable stain from an overnight accident that wasn’t caught for hours.

A few months after installing the vinyl he dropped a cast iron tray on it.  The floor sustained a gouge on one plank.  That Saturday morning he popped the base trim, unclicked the vinyl planks, removed the damaged, replaced with one leftover from the install, snapped them back together.  Finished before noon.
We have both.

For us, each has an application it's best suited to.

Wood in the more formal areas like dining area and living room.  Vinyl products in kitchen and in basement/bathrooms.

Our home is a rural home and is not as formal as many; I don't really get concerned about scratches on our scraped hickory floor.  We're not "easy" on the floor and it does have some scratches.  

As for fixes, 3 coats of poly would be fine.  I don't think it would hold up as well as a factory aluminum oxide finish, but for home fixes, it really doesn't get much better.  I refinished the top tread of the stairs to our basement; it's oak with golden oak stain.  That's three coats of poly on the tread and it looks just fine after four years.  And that a high-traffic area for us.
I installed a Flooret luxury vinyl plank flooring in my home and have received many compliments and inquiries about it. Recently my neighbor across the street installed the same Flooret flooring in his home. I don’t think you can buy a better looking and longed lasting product than that brand. The service and delivery I received was extremely high quality and helpful into making the project it’s best.

www.flooret.com
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
We have both too. The ball room on the east wing gets solid wood, while the masters quarters gets vinyl.  
Laugh

Actually, the kitchen has vinyl and has been through the ringer as kitchens go- no problems now for about 5 years.

I prefer wood. It may look worn, but in time, that may mean it looks better- if not, it can be made to look better.
Just put in a vinyl overlaping, selfstick plank floor in the kitchen. Was a joy putting it down. 1/8" thick.
Made the cuts with a mitersaw.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-09-2019, 07:26 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Just put in a vinyl overlaping, selfstick plank floor in the kitchen. Was a joy putting it down. 1/8" thick.
Made the cuts with a mitersaw.

I'll have to fight LOML, but I may go with some kind of vinyl in the kitchen and bath in the Nebraska house.  Solid oak everywhere else, tho.
Have you thought about ceramic? There are some available with wood grain. I know it's not real, but would be hard to wear out.
We have both too. Oak stairs with 6 coats of Parks Waterbased floor finish over a sanded sanding sealer. I can't buy the solvent based urethane floor finishes here. Parks recommends 6-7 coats.

We have the Life-Proof vinyl plank upstairs. It's what HD stocks, it's the best they keep in stock but only has a 6mil wear layer (iirc). 6 mill is pretty thin in the world of vinyl plank. If I were to do vinyl plank again, I'd shop around and find something with a thicker wear layer.. I think 12mil is what most manufacturers recommend for pets and 20 mil for heavy traffic. We do have scratches in the vinyl plank, probably from something on our shoes, not from the dog.

My problem with the 12 - 20mil vinyl plank is that it costs as much as pre-finished hardwood, or more and it can't be repaired as far as I know.

Vinyl plank info
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I just installed some vinyl plank from Lumber Liquidators. 5mm with a 20 mill wear layer in my kitchen. It went in pretty easy, looks good, will see. I know it will hold up to dogs better than hardwood. I just have to be careful not to drop anything heavy on it.
this

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.