Refrigerator Style
(03-10-2019, 08:48 PM)Willyou Wrote: We are looking at new refrigerators and are enamored with the french door bottom freezer style. Anything we should be concerned about with that style?

Best design we ever had. https://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-2...lsrc=aw.ds

French door, bottom freezer, with icemaker in the freezer.

No through door dispenser.

In my opinion, they take up way too much room.

Ice water inside the fridge, on the side.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
[quote pid='7729962' dateline='1552336972']

[/quote]

Barn, I think we have a similar model

1) Ice maker in the freezer......check
2) no thru door dispenser, take up to much room......check
3) Ice water inside the fridge, on the side.....check

I agree, the fru-fru stuff thru the door only takes up room.
Dumber than I appear
We have a chest freezer in the garage, 14 cu ft? They're relatively inexpensive and keep the freezer needs in the kitchen at a minimum.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-11-2019, 05:14 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: We have a chest freezer in the garage, 14 cu ft? They're relatively inexpensive and keep the freezer needs in the kitchen at a minimum.

I keep thinking about going that route but garage space is at a premium especially since daughter moved back in again and her stuff is out there and the bigger issue is the heat out there. It's 100*+ out there in the summer. Even if I were to ventilate the garage the ambient temps outside are often upwards of 110* and it doesn't cool off much at night so it's tough on freezers so they run non stop.

[/quote]

Barn, I think we have a similar model

1) Ice maker in the freezer......check
2) no thru door dispenser, take up to much room......check
3) Ice water inside the fridge, on the side.....check

I agree, the fru-fru stuff thru the door only takes up room.

Ditto. Best one we have ever had. Kitchenaid.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I also agree on the ice-maker.  I like the big bin mine has.  I keep a plastic scoop right in the bin.  I can put a scoop of ice in a glass and take 1 step to the sink.  Works great.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Thanks for the great and helpful comments. We did some looking today and, I think, my wife has decided she doesn't like the bottom freezer. So, we are going to do some more looking at the side by side units. Our 35" wide space limits us to the 33" wide units. I'm not sure that is wide enough to make a usable refrigerator and freezer side by side. We'll see.
(03-12-2019, 10:33 PM)Willyou Wrote: Thanks for the great and helpful comments. We did some looking today and, I think, my wife has decided she doesn't like the bottom freezer. So, we are going to do some more looking at the side by side units. Our 35" wide space limits us to the 33" wide units. I'm not sure that is wide enough to make a usable refrigerator and freezer side by side. We'll see.

Bottom freezer does take some getting used to... but that's been better for us than anything else.
(03-11-2019, 03:42 PM)barnowl Wrote: Best design we ever had. https://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-2...lsrc=aw.ds

I agree that the through the door system takes up a lot of room and in mine limits the amount of tall things I can store. That being said, I use the ice and water in the door maybe 10 times a day.
I have the Samsung with the French doors and the separate middle drink door. A lot to like but $$$.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(03-13-2019, 04:45 AM)KC Wrote: Bottom freezer does take some getting used to... but that's been better for us than anything else.

+1   Agreed it is better and provides a lot more refrigerator space with easy access.   But they make different styles for a reason.   Best to let her pick out the style she wants but the drawer type is easy to access and rummage through.    Roly