Installing crown on a corner cabinet
Hi,

I'm finishing up the install of the crown at our church rectory.  In one corner there's a cabinet that'll require the crown to be cut at a 22.5 degree angle.  Other than swinging the miter saw to 22.5 (and flipping the crown), any other tricks I should be aware of??  I looked around on Youtube to find instructions, but am I over thinking this?  (I could install the piece across the front of this cabinet and then cope the 2 corners that come into it, but I'd rather not.

Any tricks?
Dumber than I appear
Glue miter and use micro pins before hanging it would be my only suggestion
(03-21-2019, 11:08 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

I'm finishing up the install of the crown at our church rectory.  In one corner there's a cabinet that'll require the crown to be cut at a 22.5 degree angle.  Other than swinging the miter saw to 22.5 (and flipping the crown), any other tricks I should be aware of??  I looked around on Youtube to find instructions, but am I over thinking this?  (I could install the piece across the front of this cabinet and then cope the 2 corners that come into it, but I'd rather not.

Any tricks?
I coped the long pieces myself. Cut the inside miter 22° , cope with a saber saw or hand coping saw. The coped piece winds up long and fragile but looks good first try.
I usually cope with a sabre saw, barrel handle Bosch with 14 tpi or more blade.
mike
(03-21-2019, 11:25 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Glue miter and use micro pins before hanging it would be my only suggestion

I've never thought of that.  Good idea.  
Yes
This youtuber had an interesting take on crown molding installation. You have to go almost to the end to see her take on 22.5%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88v3HH8K...ploademail.
The channel goes by Darbin Orvar.
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
(03-22-2019, 11:49 AM)Herb Wrote: This youtuber had an interesting take on crown molding installation. You have to go almost to the end to see her take on 22.5%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88v3HH8K...ploademail.
The channel goes by Darbin Orvar.

That was a good video Herb.   Her jig is simpler than mine and you put the molding in it the way it is going up.   Normally with the upside down and backwards method, gets at least one backwards cut from me.   Roly
One problem with her demo----all the ends were butted---I always did scarf joints and had a devil of a time getting the right lengths. I also worked alone most of the time. I have a Third Hand tool, but having a human fourth hand helps immensely!  Oh, I learned quickly miters were never 45°, inside or outside. I learned to cope inside miters to minimize the headaches. Was a good reason to sit for a while.
Big Grin
I cope crown on walls but always miter on cabinets. I can handle cutting upside down, but the "sweet spot" is not always apparent. My first step is to put three layers of masking tape on the miter saw where the top would meet the ceiling, hold the molding in place, score the tape and then remove excess. This gives me a "stop" so the molding won't slide down when cutting. Another handy trick is Super glue with activator. Have the micro-pinner handy, but wait 15-20 seconds before shooting any in. If crown molding on cabinets doesn't hit the ceiling too, then you almost have to add glue blocks to the back to keep it in place. I usually use hot melt glue for these.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-23-2019, 11:38 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I cope crown on walls but always miter on cabinets. I can handle cutting upside down, but the "sweet spot" is not always apparent. My first step is to put three layers of masking tape on the miter saw where the top would meet the ceiling, hold the molding in place, score the tape and then remove excess. This gives me a "stop" so the molding won't slide down when cutting. Another handy trick is Super glue with activator. Have the micro-pinner handy, but wait 15-20 seconds before shooting any in. If crown molding on cabinets doesn't hit the ceiling too, then you almost have to add glue blocks to the back to keep it in place. I usually use hot melt glue for these.

Since most cabinet crown is small you can make a J shaped box that acts as a crown stop. Make the fence side high enough to clear the crown for clamping the box. The J part is just a thin glued on piece that is on the base piece. This is the stop. You can eliminate the tape . I have crown stops on my Dewalt  but I have used other saws that did not provide for crown stops.

The crown got installed last Saturday.  Here are some pictures.  There are a few errors, but if you walk by quickly enough, you won't see them. 
Smile
Dumber than I appear