Refrigerator Style
(03-13-2019, 04:45 AM)KC Wrote: Bottom freezer does take some getting used to... but that's been better for us than anything else.

+1.  Like I said in my first post, I did not care for it when I moved in.  However, it did not take long for me to REALLY like the bottom freezer.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Again. Thanks for all the comments. We haven't done any more looking yet, but plan to do so soon. You have given us lots to consider. Interestingly, we find that all on the market these days have both water and ice dispenser in the door or no dispenser at all. None have just water. The ice dispenser does indeed take up lots of room.
(03-17-2019, 04:58 PM)Willyou Wrote: ....Interestingly, we find that all on the market these days have both water and ice dispenser in the door or no dispenser at all. None have just water. The ice dispenser does indeed take up lots of room.

Not exactly so. The one we have has the ice maker in the freezer section, and the water dispenser on the cabinet, inside the left hand door.

Look closely:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KitchenAid-20-c...R/50383140
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(03-18-2019, 09:29 AM)u?barnowl Wrote: Not exactly so. The one we have has the ice maker in the freezer section, and the water dispenser on the cabinet, inside the left hand door.

Look closely:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KitchenAid-20-c...R/50383140

barnowl, Thanks for that. I did find that on the Kitchenaid as well as another brand I don't remember. My comment you quoted was regarding "through the door" dispensers. How does that system work for you? My thought was that I don't think I would like standing with the refrigerator door open while I fill a container with water. I'm actually thinking about going for a refrigerator with no external dispenser and putting in an under the sink filter system later if we think we need it.
We're extremely pleased with ours.

Fill a glass occasionally.

No big deal.

But cold.
Timely thread.  Kitchenaid counter-depth SbS fridge (Whirlpool) was acting up and short-cycling the condenser fan or compressor every few seconds, and I was looking into getting the control board repaired (no longer available at 14 years old) when it stopped cooling last night.  
Upset   At that age, and with a VFD controlled compressor and lots of electronics, it's probably wiser for us just to chuck it and buy new.

But the bottom freezer, in our case at least, is probably not the best choice due to age and mobility concerns, especially going forward.  So it looks like another SbS with ice and water in the door again.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-25-2019, 05:59 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Timely thread.  Kitchenaid counter-depth SbS fridge (Whirlpool) was acting up and short-cycling the condenser fan or compressor every few seconds, and I was looking into getting the control board repaired (no longer available at 14 years old) when it stopped cooling last night.  
Upset   At that age, and with a VFD controlled compressor and lots of electronics, it's probably wiser for us just to chuck it and buy new.

But the bottom freezer, in our case at least, is probably not the best choice due to age and mobility concerns, especially going forward.  So it looks like another SbS with ice and water in the door again.

Tom do you and your wife a favor and at least check out the bottom freezer models.   We are talking the drawer type.   Much easier to access the food.  Also gives a larger refrigerator space.  Just as kitchen cabinet drawers are easier than a narrow cabinet to get at stuff.    Roly
(03-25-2019, 06:37 AM)Roly Wrote:  Tom do you and your wife a favor and at least check out the bottom freezer models.   We are talking the drawer type.   Much easier to access the food.  Also gives a larger refrigerator space.  Just as kitchen cabinet drawers are easier than a narrow cabinet to get at stuff.    Roly

Roly

The issue is bending down every time you need something in the freezer.  I see your point about easier access with a wide space, especially for wide stuff (vacuum packs of chicken parts, for instance) but we're concerned about getting to things on the bottom especially, but bending in general.  We tend to not use the bottom of the existing units except for longer term storage in the freezer and tall things in the door (wine bottle, for instance). 

Yes, units (plural), as we still have the huge one this one replaced, now in the basement, and a mid-size single door deep freezer.  And a tall dorm fridge in the garage, which I also plugged in and loaded when this one died last night.  
Laugh 

But we will check out the bottom drawer types, like those the OP was asking about, since we have to go shopping now.  Too bad Sears isn't around, as they were real close, and they sell the same stuff or the same under their own name (mostly Whirlpool, at least in our experience).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-25-2019, 06:59 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Roly

The issue is bending down every time you need something in the freezer.  I see your point about easier access with a wide space, especially for wide stuff (vacuum packs of chicken parts, for instance) but we're concerned about getting to things on the bottom especially, but bending in general.  We tend to not use the bottom of the existing units except for longer term storage in the freezer and tall things in the door (wine bottle, for instance). 

Yes, units (plural), as we still have the huge one this one replaced, now in the basement, and a mid-size single door deep freezer.  And a tall dorm fridge in the garage, which I also plugged in and loaded when this one died last night.  
Laugh 

But we will check out the bottom drawer types, like those the OP was asking about, since we have to go shopping now.  Too bad Sears isn't around, as they were real close, and they sell the same stuff or the same under their own name (mostly Whirlpool, at least in our experience).

I am 73 and the wife in late 60's .  The bottom freezer drawer is much easier than the side by side as far as the lower access in both freezer and fridge in the side by side.   Don't think of the older type bottom freezers.    Remember all your refrigerator section is higher so no bending for that.   But do check them out.   Roly
Tom, I agree with Roly.

Do check out the French door bottom freezer Kitchenaide that I linked to, in person.

Best design we ever had. (we're both in our late 60's)

Everything is so accessible.

The only one that came close was one offered by LG, but the interior was not as efficient a design.

Had a huge Amana side by side before this one, and putting anything wide in it was near impossible.

Like a turkey.

Ain't gonna happen.