LA jack plane veritas vs LN?
You’ll be happy with either.
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
(05-22-2019, 01:57 PM)Ricky Wrote: I have. The honest answer is I don't technically need one, I got a small collection of inexpensive flea market bought stanleys, a few transitionals and even an old wooden scrub plane.. But those new one's are so purdy!  
Laugh

"The honest answer is I don't technically need one,"

What's "need" got to do with it ??????
Confused
Laugh ..It's all about "want", man !!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

For someone with extremely limited working space--I just have a lot of junk filling my area, and also qualifies me--I would say a jack-of-all will be the solution. I like the Veritas for that reason.  

But, there must be advantages to specialization beyond marketing. I don't really use my LAS as much as I thought I would, and it serves the same functions of the later jack introduction by Veritas. It doesn't "feel" as good as the bronze #4, or #6, nor the #3 it is comparable to in mass.  

I think the configuration of the tool makes a big difference in comfort.

Then, none of this thoughtful logic has anything to do with the prime motivation of "want".
(05-22-2019, 09:46 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Indeed, Sellers uses mostly Stanleys on his show; here https://youtu.be/10RPOPBTwZA?t=252 he is seen testing out the Veritas low angle jack. He also has a Veritas router plane, but again he rarely uses it in front of the video camera.

Simon

In the video, he disparages the LAJ by claiming there's more bevel to sharpen compared to a BD blade on a standard bench plane.  I guess that would be true if you always sharpen the entire bevel.  I use a secondary bevel which greatly reduces the time to hone.  His point about the vintage planes being cheaper is still valid, but it's a limited comparison in that he only compares the thickness and consistency of shavings coming out of each plane.  He doesn't compare versatility of use on figured woods, shooting end grain, leveling large surfaces, etc.

Also, in the video, you can clearly see another Veritas plane in his tool cabinet (the same one posted earlier in this thread) while he has his LAJ on the bench.  So, he's got at least 2 Veritas planes.  I don't know that you can tell which Veritas plane is in his tool cabinet, given you can only see the handle and a bit of the sole around the handle.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-23-2019, 01:21 PM)this iAHill Wrote: In the video, he disparages the LAJ by claiming there's more bevel to sharpen compared to a BD blade on a standard bench plane.  I guess that would be true if you always sharpen the entire bevel.  I use a secondary bevel which greatly reduces the time to hone.  His point about the vintage planes being cheaper is still valid, but it's a limited comparison in that he only compares the thickness and consistency of shavings coming out of each plane.  He doesn't compare versatility of use on figured woods, shooting end grain, leveling large surfaces, etc.

Also, in the video, you can clearly see another Veritas plane in his tool cabinet (the same one posted earlier in this thread) while he has his LAJ on the bench.  So, he's got at least 2 Veritas planes.  I don't know that you can tell which Veritas plane is in his tool cabinet, given you can only see the handle and a bit of the sole around the handle.

Paul Sellers has many Veritas planes. He does not talk about them in his videos - they would not support his schtick, which is based on using cheap tools. As far as I am aware, he has visited the Veritas factory on at least one occasion. 

I recall the accompanying blog. It was a few years ago. Paul stated that his Stanley outperformed the LAJ, and that the wood he used at the time (Pine?) tore out with the LAJ. Since Paul does not advocate using the chipbreaker, anyone with a little understanding of plane dynamics involving BU planes knows that this is impossible. I asked Paul what the bevel angle was for the blade in the LAJ. His reply stated that it was highish. I simply did not believe him. Two planes, and the one with higher cutting angle tearing out? That makes no sense.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Maybe a closer look would be in order?   maybe half of Sellers panes ARE Stanley planes.....he also uses a lot of old Record, and other English made brands...unless someone is using "blinders" to make a sale for Lee valley?
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The only sale I know of Lee Valley is its cyber Monday sale.
Laugh

Nothing wrong with using Stanley, Record or modern planes made by Veritas, L-N or WR. I don't have time to refurbish old planes I see in flea markets, so I chose modern planes over the oldies. In skilled hands, all planes work the same.

Simon
There are many good answers in the other posts. My block planes are Lie-Nielsen and my bench planes are Lee Valley's Veritas. 

Key for me is that I switch blades as needed, and my Veritas bevel up planes (#4, #5, and #7) all use the same blades. So I have three blade angles for different woods, plus a set of toothed blades that I can move wherever I need them. I love the screws that keep the blades centered, and I use the PM-V11 alloy that LV sells.

What I didn't see mentioned above is the feel of the tote. For me, the Stanley shape of the Lie-Nielsen forces my hand downward until my little finger is crowded into the crook between the tote and the body, and feels cramped to me. And that's using a 3-fingered grip with the index finger out and pointed in the direction of travel. The Veritas tote is more open and upright, and I have never experienced the same discomfort with it.

I love both the LN and the LV, and I lust after the classic look of the LN. But for me, the design of the LV works better.
(05-28-2019, 11:41 PM)Brent V. Wrote: There are many good answers in the other posts. My block planes are Lie-Nielsen and my bench planes are Lee Valley's Veritas. 

Key for me is that I switch blades as needed, and my Veritas bevel up planes (#4, #5, and #7) all use the same blades. So I have three blade angles for different woods, plus a set of toothed blades that I can move wherever I need them. I love the screws that keep the blades centered, and I use the PM-V11 alloy that LV sells.

What I didn't see mentioned above is the feel of the tote. For me, the Stanley shape of the Lie-Nielsen forces my hand downward until my little finger is crowded into the crook between the tote and the body, and feels cramped to me. And that's using a 3-fingered grip with the index finger out and pointed in the direction of travel. The Veritas tote is more open and upright, and I have never experienced the same discomfort with it.

I love both the LN and the LV, and I lust after the classic look of the LN. But for me, the design of the LV works better.

Hi Brent

The three blades with different bevel angle ... do they have the same camber (if you camber)? I would have a different camber on each, which would make it less possible to swap between planes.

With regard to the handles, have you read this article I wrote a while back?  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...anes3.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-28-2019, 11:41 PM)Brent V. Wrote: Key for me is that I switch blades as needed, and my Veritas bevel up planes (#4, #5, and #7) all use the same blades...
I assume you mean the Veritas BU Smoother, the Low-Angle Jack, and the BU Jointer? If so, they don’t follow a number system as does Lie-Nielsen for their bevel-down planes. With their 2-3/8” blades, the Veritas BU Smoother is more comparable in size to the 4-½ and the LA Jack is more comparable to the 5-½.