Clifton vs Lie Nielsen
Out of curiosity, which plane is better, Clifton or Lie-Nielsen. I hear tons about LN, but virtually nothing about Clifton. Is Clifton the LN of England?
(06-21-2019, 07:38 PM)mvflaim Wrote: Out of curiosity, which plane is better, Clifton or Lie-Nielsen. I here tons about LN, but virtually nothing about Clifton. Is Clifton the LN of England?

Yes, it is. I own both, and both are exceptional examples of top-tier craftsmanship and excellence.
I own both and a Clifton #3 is my all time favorite. Both (and LV) are very well made.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Any reviews I've seen that rated both favored LN. LN has higher quality workmanship.

I found this review of a Clifton plane by Chris Schwartz that might be of interest.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw...andplanes/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have one Clifton plane. A shoulder plane. Have seen a few others.
I would say the quality of this particular plane is roughly equal to a what I rekon a pre-war Amercan made Stanley was when it was new. A mighty good plane though not quiite perfect in such details that don't affect how it works.

No idea what a Lie-Nielsen is like...... I have once seen one but never used one.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(06-22-2019, 02:23 PM)AHill Wrote: Any reviews I've seen that rated both favored LN.  LN has higher quality workmanship.  

I found this review of a Clifton plane by Chris Schwartz that might be of interest.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw...andplanes/

From the above review:

"With the Clifton, I was definitely impressed. After 10 strokes on a coarse stone, the leading edge was flat. Then it was just a matter of finishing the job on the polishing stones. It was every bit as good as a Lie-Nielsen or the super-dang-flat Veritas irons."

The ghost of actor Clifton James came to my basement a few years ago; he said, "they're pretty good" (or maybe, "you're that British Secret Agent!"):

I particularly like a sturdy Bedrock with round sides -- a Clifton in other words!

Chris
Chris
(06-22-2019, 06:23 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: The ghost of actor Clifton James came to my basement a few years ago; he said, "they're pretty good" (or maybe, "you're that British Secret Agent!"):

I particularly like a sturdy Bedrock with round sides -- a Clifton in other words!

Chris

I'd love to own one just to see how it stacks up to my old beat up Stanley's. I have a dream of getting feather-like shavings from planing birds-eye maple.
If I remember correctly, at the time of the negative review, Clifton had some issues (12 - 15 years ago?). Clifton released a number of planes into the US at bargain prices. This is when I got my #3, from The Best Things, for, maybe $150 or so. Not a thing wrong with it, though the internet was a-buzz with others not so lucky.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-22-2019, 07:56 PM)Tony Z Wrote: If I remember correctly, at the time of the negative review, Clifton had some issues (12 - 15 years ago?).  Clifton released a number of planes into the US at bargain prices.  This is when I got my #3, from The Best Things, for, maybe $150 or so.  Not a thing wrong with it, though the internet was a-buzz with others not so lucky.

Wasn't it Clifton that sold a No 45 style plane at Garrett Wade for $500? I barely remember but I thought it was them.