For Admiral's eyes especially
Several years ago I bought a #4 Bailey from you ( Admiral) at a very good price. I also saw a video Frank Klausz did on restoring hand planes. It is called vanity but I think I did a better job of restoration as some of you  may remember. Anyway I am a big fan of Franks, and above all I love his attitude which is basically you never know what you can do until you try and don't talk about it do it.

Any way I reground the plane and sent it to him, along with a picture of my bench he inspired and a nice letter. I figured I would at least get a thank you from him, but I didn't hear back in a couple of weeks so I forgot about it and then I got this in the mail. My wife put this in a safe place for safe keeping and it got put in a really safe place for several years. 

Anyway She came across them and put the letter, pictures and shavings in a frame for me. So my matting is wood shaving from the plane.  Also I was watching one of his youtube videos and I saw him using that plane. I recognize my work.

I  just thought I would share my story and pictures with you .

Tom

PS:  I also have pictures of myself and Norm Abrams hanging on my air cleaner in my shop . I think I will hang this on the door to my shop. That way I will see it and remember each time I enter my shop. Having talked to Norm and this response from Frank I can truly say i think they are both a class act.

PS2: One never know where an item one sells will end up.

Smile

Something to treasure
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Why were you two hanging on your air cleaner?

Smile
(07-07-2019, 09:14 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: One never know where an item one sells will end up.

Ha ha, well, I live about 8 miles from Frank's commercial shop so that #4 made a round trip back to NJ, in fact, I passed by it last weekend in Pluckemin, NJ.  Frank is now retired, and a while back he renovated a structure for his retirement shop; here's a link to him giving a tour; if you look closely, you might see your work again!  I've met Frank several times (not that he would remember me at all) and visited his commercial shop during a Lie Nielsen event held there.  Very nice, and gracious man.  thanks for sharing....

https://woodandshop.com/frank-klausz-workshop-tour/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-07-2019, 10:06 AM)med-one Wrote: Why were you two hanging on your air cleaner?

Smile

I guess mounted on the side of my air cleaner would be a better way of stating it. And to answer your question is I didn't have a better place to put them. And why not where I will see them at least when I clean the filters.
I also like Frank a lot to.  I always wanted to meet him and I have 4 of his DVDs so far and love watching them all the time.

On Norm even tho I never did wood working I watched his show in the mid to late 80's until we moved and they did not carry his show.  I still miss his shows a lot.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I remember at one of the WIA events, Frank was giving a class. He was using a vintage No. 4 that had been polished to a mirror finish. When someone asked why he polished it, his response was "because I can." I liked Frank's pragmatic approach to woodworking.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-07-2019, 02:39 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I also like Frank a lot to.  I always wanted to meet him and I have 4 of his DVDs so far and love watching them all the time.

On Norm even tho I never did wood working I watched his show in the mid to late 80's until we moved and they did not carry his show.  I still miss his shows a lot.

Many of Norm's programs are available for free on YouTube.
(07-08-2019, 07:38 AM)AHill Wrote: I remember at one of the WIA events, Frank was giving a class.  He was using a vintage No. 4 that had been polished to a mirror finish.  When someone asked why he polished it, his response was "because I can."  I liked Frank's pragmatic approach to woodworking.

At the first WIA in Berea, I think, Frank was asked what he used to mark dovetails.

He said, "I use a pencil".

That didn't satisfy the questioner, who asked something like, "why don't you use a marking knife?".

His reply, "because I use a pencil".

The entire room laughed.

Funny guy and a class act.

Chris Becksvoort is a tails first guy, because his father made him cut pins first, and that was his act of defiance.

Another class act.

I like Norm also.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(07-10-2019, 10:27 PM)Martin S. Wrote: At the first WIA in Berea, I think, Frank was asked what he used to mark dovetails.

He said, "I use a pencil".

That didn't satisfy the questioner, who asked something like, "why don't you use a marking knife?".

His reply, "because I use a pencil".

The entire room laughed.

Funny guy and a class act.

I absolutely love that story.  He is direct, doesn't mince words, but just answers the question presented.  Reminds me of when I got hopelessly lost on back roads in Vermont's NEK, and asked a farmer if he knew how to get to Island Pond, all he said was "yup" and got back on his tractor....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis