Toilet Wax Ring
use it to lubricate your screws...
Eric
I used the rubber ring seal when I installed a new toilet about 2 years ago.  Much easier than using a wax ring.  After a year I decided to change the flooring.  Taking up the toilet was much less of a hassle and reinstallation was just as easy using the same seal and height spacer again.  I'll never use another wax seal.  

John
(08-01-2019, 01:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I used the rubber ring seal when I installed a new toilet about 2 years ago.  Much easier than using a wax ring.  After a year I decided to change the flooring.  Taking up the toilet was much less of a hassle and reinstallation was just as easy using the same seal and height spacer again.  I'll never use another wax seal.  

John

Dang, I wish this thread happened a month ago.  I just replaced a wax ring with another wax one and it's always a mess.  I'll definitely keep this in mind for next time.
Never had an issue with a wax ring. Too tall a wax ring and you run the risk of cracking the base when tightening the bowl. I'll use the PVC spacers with a silicon bead between them if the floor was built up with tile or hardwood floor etc. The flange should be just proud of the floor height. The key is making sure the flange isn't damaged and the toilet bolts can be tightened. I personally believe wax rings add a bit of grip and stability to the base.

I see a silicon caulk bead all around the base in new homes. IMHO, that's overkill, looks bad and makes it difficult to pull the toilet later on, possibly damaging the floor. I do add caulk to the base in a few spots before setting the bowl down and tightening. I try to keep it on the inside of the base do you don't see it after mounting the bowl. It will hold the base in place and not give me too much trouble if I ever have to pull it. You don't need much, just a few spots 1" long or so. Most houses I inspect have at least one loose toilet base.

Wax rings are cheap. Buy a tall one and a regular one. Measure the distance between the closet flange and the seating surface under the bowl. The wax ring doesn't have to crush much to seal. Take back the one you don't use.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Had a customer tell me long ago; "Don't leave the new wax ring sitting around too long before you use it- the kids will find it, and everything in the house will be waterproof, including the kids".

I've used the rubber and so far so good. But I still like the idea of the wax for sealing if the surface isn't real smooth.
(08-01-2019, 05:45 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Someone suggested it’s better using an extra large wax ring. Is there any down side of doing that?

Also, should I put the ring on the toilet or the flange?

Thanks.

Recently added vinyl plank floor in my only bathroom, raising the floor about 1/4".   Replaced my 27 year old commode with a toto drake ADA.  Having watched videos utilizing all the above recommended methods, elected to go with extra thick wax ring.  My greatest concern having a "bad back" was, "how do I lift the unit.   Rented a "toilet lift" that made the job much easier.  No problem with the seal so far.  The flush valve in tank is working intermittently, toto is sending replacement.
Used an extra large wax ring and everything looked good. Today I discovered a leak so obviously something happened. One concern I have with the synthetic rings is that they would break down over time especially with hard water. Time to do it again. Any specific feedback would be appreciated.
(08-03-2019, 07:29 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Used an extra large wax ring and everything looked good. Today I discovered a leak so obviously something happened. One  concern I have with the synthetic rings is that they would break down over time especially with hard water. Time to do it again. Any specific feedback would be appreciated.

Wax rings are great, they've been around forever and are an inexpensive, proven product. You tried one and it didn't work. Now go try one of the rings like I linked to in an earlier post. Not the green rubber ring, the Danco Perfect Seal. They're about $3.50 more than the large wax rings. Hard water is not an issue with the rubber or plastic used on these. Not sure why you think this would be an issue. Your drain lines are probably PVC and they don't break down due to water chemistry. I mean, they store acid in a plastic bottle right?
(08-03-2019, 07:29 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Used an extra large wax ring and everything looked good. Today I discovered a leak so obviously something happened. One  concern I have with the synthetic rings is that they would break down over time especially with hard water. Time to do it again. Any specific feedback would be appreciated.

Where's the evidence of the leak?  Directly below the subfloor where the toilet sits?  On the floor beside the toilet?  

Presuming that the wax ring wasn't pushed out of position during the install somehow, then it's time to widen the search for the problem.

When you pull the toilet base, inspect closely for cracks on the inner surface and outer surface.

How confident are you the flange is up to snuff?  Are you sure you needed the taller ring?  Is there a chance that now that the taller ring is in place, that the toilet is pushing down the flange and forcing it out of alignment?  This would also call into question the integrity of the subfloor holding the flange.

Grasping at straws thinking of all the possibilities.
could be a slow leak from the supply line or the tank bolts.  If you have checked both of those pull the toilet.

I am guessing there is no rocking of the seat when you sit down as I have had extra tall rings settle after some use and a tightening of the bolts was the fix.  The bowl won't survive over tightening
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.