Heat Pump
(08-06-2019, 05:02 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Be nice to your A/C tech, have it serviced in the spring or fall. Even the winter. You can't really dress for 130 degrees in the attic.

Amen to that and why I chose commercial HVAC for a living but black rubber roofs ain't fun either. 
Laugh
(08-06-2019, 06:11 PM)Duane N Wrote: Amen to that and why I chose commercial HVAC for a living but black rubber roofs ain't fun either. 
Laugh

I've got two home inspections tomorrow. Both houses are about 50 years old so I'm guessing not much venting in the attic. I come out of the attic dripping wet so I save the attic for last. I'm taking an extra shirt.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-06-2019, 04:55 PM)daddo Wrote:  It's as if I posted that.
 I'm so fed up with this heat, every year I scream cool place to live and I can't see any difference between being cabin bound because it's just too hot , or being snowed in. I'd rather be retired and snowed in- at least I could work in the shop and actually enjoy hot coffee.  I'm semi-retired and just work as I can, but this heat is killing this man.  I get home from work and stay inside- driving the wife nuts.
  My daughter has 6 years of college, divorced a money spending person she married, now almost broke and getting back on her feet, lives in our little house next door. She does work hard, but they just don't pay as well here.
 Trapped for now.

On the subject;
 I'd do the heat pump with backup electric heat (Outdoor thermostat controls for switching)- now you have two sources of heat for backup in case the baseboards quit on you.

Yup same here. LOML is a FA for AA and home allot and is the oldest game nerd out there playing role playing. She has her desk in the living room since daughter is taking up the spare room and the master bedroom is under construction. So when she is home I can't watch tv in the living room.
             I am varying degrees of angry all summer long and it gets worse every day I am stuck here. Reminds me of the song by Flogging Molly "The worst day since yesterday". I'm to the point I'm just fed up and want to get out. The shop is a good place to spout obscenities without scaring the neighbors...
          My current project which is involving lots of methodical measuring etc is relaxing though. A 66 mustang I am replacing lots of sheet metal on IE firewall forward frame rails etc. https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build...-case.html

Ditto the heat pump especially with the external thermostat. Backup systems are always a good thing.
Yeah. I would plan on keeping the baseboards and use when necessary. I dont have gas or propane. I also don't really have a good place for a propane tank.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(08-06-2019, 10:00 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Yeah. I would plan on keeping the baseboards and use when necessary. I dont have gas or propane. I also don't really have a good place for a propane tank.

Nat gas is the most economical fuel (usually). Here the only people using propane are generally out in the sticks with mobile homes because propane is very expensive to heat with here. It is nearly double the price it is up north with high delivery fees and very high minimum delivery amounts. IE anything 100 gallons and less they don't want to waster their time on.
(08-06-2019, 06:11 PM)or swapping compressors.Duane N Wrote: Amen to that and why I chose commercial HVAC for a living but black rubber roofs ain't fun either. 
Laugh

I did commercial work up till 1989 and switched to residential for the most part out of necessity.

I miss being able to get inside the return air side of a 50 ton unit on the roof and cool off, or watching the helicopter bringing a new unit.

I don't miss having to work on vav's above the drop ceiling on xxx floor or swapping huge compressors in subfloor basements or roofs.
(08-07-2019, 11:12 AM)daddo Wrote:  I did commercial work up till 1989 and switched to residential for the most part out of necessity.

I miss being able to get inside the return air side of a 50 ton unit on the roof and cool off, or watching the helicopter bringing a new unit.

I don't miss having to work on vav's above the drop ceiling on xxx floor or swapping huge compressors in subfloor basements or roofs.
I've been doing commercial HVAC service and installs for over 27 years along with a 4 year apprenticeship in sheet metal fabrication and installation and don't see myself doing anything else.  I've been a project manager for close to 2 years now and never saw myself sitting in an office being on the road for so long but it's been a welcome change honestly.  I miss the field some days and on other days I don't....especially when it's over 100 degrees.  When I drive around locally I can point at every building I ever worked in...it's been a lot of them. 
Smile
(08-07-2019, 03:59 PM)Duane N Wrote: I've been doing commercial HVAC service and installs for over 27 years along with a 4 year apprenticeship in sheet metal fabrication and installation and don't see myself doing anything else.  I've been a project manager for close to 2 years now and never saw myself sitting in an office being on the road for so long but it's been a welcome change honestly.  I miss the field some days and on other days I don't....especially when it's over 100 degrees.  When I drive around locally I can point at every building I ever worked in...it's been a lot of them. 
Smile

The quicker you can get out of the field the better. Your body will thank you for it. My back, shoulder elbow etc have said stop.

We are sitting at 105* and 40% humidity. It's 115 out to the west.
I'm having a tough time understanding why the invite for the ladies to visit while you and he discuss this install hasn't already been extended. Invite them over for coffee but be plain that you wish to discuss the subject. Be advised that some guys prefer not to mix business and social events.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(08-08-2019, 12:20 AM)blackhat Wrote: I'm having a tough time understanding why the invite for the ladies to visit while you and he discuss this install hasn't already been extended. Invite them over for coffee but be plain that you wish to discuss the subject. Be advised that some guys prefer not to mix business and social events.

We're not financially ready for that yet.  I'm getting a shop built this year, so other large capital home improvement projects are waiting for at least next year.  I'm pretty sure it just came up in casual conversation between the ladies when their group was getting together.  I'm sure we will do so when we are ready to spend the money.

I also don't remember if the guy owns the HVAC company or just works for them.  I'm sure that will dictate the nature of looking into this.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.