Hide Glue - Working Out for You?
So, in the "Lost Arts" blog, what is the "cross-linked hide glue" referring to? I'm not a chemist, an engineer or much of anything more than puzzled by that string of words!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-13-2019, 12:13 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: I, with my old chemistry degree, can confirm that you are, in fact, completely wrong, just as you feared.  
Uhoh

Hide glue is primarily very long chain protein molecules in ethanol solution/suspension when applied.  

I was taught to use hide glue in 1966. It sounds like you are in over your head.
So to cross link, I suppose after heating the glue, I must shred some fibergass into it? Maybe the fiberstuff used in concrete pours? Since I've primarily used hide glue for the past dozen years, how much longer will the items I built fall apart? Some were for friends and relatives, I must contact them! Is there something I can inject into the joints?

I'm obviously joking, but am still wondering WTH is cross-linked hide glue and why even concoct that term?
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have been using TB hide glue since the Schwartz recommended it, and I am thankful for the extended open time. Its my go to glue.
(08-13-2019, 12:13 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: I, with my old chemistry degree, can confirm that you are, in fact, completely wrong, just as you feared.  
Uhoh

Hide glue is primarily very long chain protein molecules in ethanol solution/suspension when applied.  As the alcohol evaporates, the long chain molecules entangle and parts of the molecules are attracted to each other by "electrostatic" forces, more formally known as hydrogen bonding.  

While we are generally nice people, we chemists tend to frown when civilians attempt to "speak chemistry."  
Upset

Where/when does the hide glue get the ethanol? I mix and cook mine in water and try not to let it ferment too long.
Does anyone here have issues with their house dogs grabbing pieces that have been glued up with hide glue? One of our beagles just loved the stuff, would sneak into the shop and snatch whatever he could reach. He would then haul it upstairs to chew on. Got to the point that I had to leave a scrap or two for him, with a bit of glue on it so he would go after the good stuff.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-14-2019, 01:53 PM)wmickley Wrote: I was taught to use hide glue in 1966. It sounds like you are in over your head.

Thanks for the catch. I've been up to my eyeballs in shellac literature downloaded from Don Williams' site and I've got ethanol on the brain. I know it's water; when I make up my glue I use water. I didn't use any water in hide glue in 1966, as I left my dad's shop and my glue pot behind when I went off to school in 1965; I didn't get back to it for quite a while, since I got involved in boat building and repairs, where hide glue isn't much used.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(08-13-2019, 01:51 PM)Tony Z Wrote: So, in the "Lost Arts" blog, what is the "cross-linked hide glue" referring to?  I'm not a chemist, an engineer or much of anything more than puzzled by that string of words!

My explanation above is correct.  I only mentioned the aluminium reagents because those are easy to find on the web, but Shephard's book lists more.

As to a specific blog post, if you provide a link, I'll see if I can sort it out.
(07-29-2019, 07:11 PM)cputnam Wrote: We haven't had a good glue thread for a while, so I do not feel too badly about asking this question.  Some years ago, Christopher Schwartz kicked up a fuss about hide glue. Lately, I've been wondering a few things:

* Has anyone started using hide glue for the majority of projects?
* Use glue pot or liquid?
* how have the projects held up?
* Any new insights arising in the last few years?
* Anyone switched back to PVA (or other) glue?

Inquiring minds want to know ....

I have used a number of different glues. Hot hide glue is my favorite for most interior glue ups. First project was a veneered chess table I made in 1964 . As far as I know every project I used hot hide glue on is still in good shape. Never used liquid hide glue . I rarely use other glues for interior glue ups. Used Gorilla glue on outside trim, worked well. Titebond on canoe strips, also worked well. I used either Titebond or Elmers on door and window trim.
mike