New loft beds
Nothing fancy, but I just replaced the IKEA bunk beds in my kids room with a pair of loft beds. The kids are getting to the point where they need their separate space to sleep and do homework and such. We've already moved the desks and dressers under the beds, but there's still tons of open feel to the room.

Simply construction 2x4 and 4x4 posts. Stained and sealed with several coats of poly. The bare wood top rail has since been stained and poly'd to match and a second narrower rail added below. While fairly simple in construction they took a bit of time as I didn't have a lot of dedicated time to work on these, mostly over the course of about 3 weekends.

Sanding all the wood to remove the lumber stamps and minor defects sure took some effort with my old Ryobi ROS. Really makes me want to look at a new one. Hands went numb after a while from the vibration. I'd be interested in thoughts on new ones..Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch, etc. Not interested in Festool.

Thanks for looking
Kevin
I made a very similar version from Douglas fir many years ago.  On mine the "safety" side board was removable to all replacing the sheets to be easier.  You might think about that conversion once your wife complains about the sheet changes.

I also built in a desk underneath, but if you can find one that fits, it makes a good addition.  I added shelves too.

It also had the advantage that the dog no longer slept on the bed. 

Nice work.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Nice job. The lumber stamp reminds me that mine had some stickers on the wood from Lowe's. Luckily it was only the "white pine" and not the SYP. When struggling to get those off I kept wondering why I didn't get the wood from a hardwood store (then I recalled the cost difference).

Mark

If you are doing a lot of sanding, try a belt sander. They go from digging a trench with 40-60 grit to polish... Belts last quite a while. My hands are always numb but it's not so bad to use one. Random orbits are a temptation to fall asleep while leaning on the palm hold.
(08-21-2019, 09:54 PM)hbmcc Wrote: If you are doing a lot of sanding, try a belt sander. They go from digging a trench with 40-60 grit to polish... Belts last quite a while. My hands are always numb but it's not so bad to use one. Random orbits are a temptation to fall asleep while leaning on the palm hold.

Yea, I had pulled out the belt sander, an old craftsman from my grandpa. But the belt ripped and I didn't make it to the store to get new ones.

Kevin