Block Plane?
Hmmm....planes..just planes..
Rolleyes

This is the main group...about half of what I have on hand....almost need a separate til, just for block planes
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-23-2019, 03:33 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Same here! I don’t even know where or when I got it, but the iron takes a good edge, and the adjustment is workable. If I could afford it, I’d trade up to a good knuckle cap, either Stanley or LN. But that’s pretty low on my priority list of tool acquisitions.

At the risk of waxing philosophic....  Not to say that my LV and LN low angles are not superb planes, as they are mechanically superior in every way to anything Stanley ever made, which really boils down to more precise machining and a reduction in iron adjustment slop.  At the risk of getting too deep in the weeds here, the major substantive (as opposed to cosmetic) difference, IMO (apart from the significant reduction in iron adjustment slop, which is quite convenient in use) is the quality of the steel in the iron, and its thickness.  One could get a replacement Hock iron for $40-$50 however.  That being said, the low angle Stanleys of any vintage (including the "maroon" jappanned ones, which I buy whenever I find one, as they are very good) with the stock iron can be fettled to give you 95% (or in some cases slightly more) of the performance of these premium block planes, and you pay for that extra 5%, just like with everything else in life.  To each his own.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Steven, you are such an amateur!
Smile

[Image: Blockplanes-all1.jpg]

I had all these at one time to write the ultimate comparison of block planes .... about 10 years ago ... still got to get around to it (yeah, yeah). If you cannot wait, there is a review of some here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...Plane.html

Hopefully more helpfully .... to narrow down the choice of a block plane, realise that in addition to there being a low angle and a standard angle type, there are also block planes with different widths.

Block planes are essentially one-handed planes, which placed an emphasis on ergonomics. I would choose a low angle block plane as the lower profile of the plane makes it more comfortable to hold, and more compact.

Block planes can be said to fit four widths: small, medium-small, medium, and large.

Small are planes like the Stanley #101, the LN violin plane, and the Veritas Pocket Plane. All fixed-mouth planes. Of these, the Veritas is an absolute gem! It has a small mouth and a precise adjuster. It is my go to for a lot of work, regardless of it small size.

Veritas and LN: [Image: B3.jpg]

Medium include the Stanley ##60 1/2, LN #60 1/2, and Veritas DX60. All adjustable-mouth mouth. A vintage Stanley is the best value as it is cheaper, but the other two are better in every way. I love the Veritas for its features, and it is the best design of all .. bar one factor, the LN is slightly more comfortable in the hand over time, and therefore gets my nod. It is such a hard choice as the Veritas has a superior blade and adjustment system. Decide on your priority.

Veritas NX/DX60 ..

[Image: Block3_zpseb1yzo2f.jpg]

Medium-Small: Stanley #102, LN #102 and 103, and Lee Valley Apron Plane. These are fixed-mouth planes. A great compromise in size and features. I have not used the Lee Valley one. The LN #103 was the first new plane I purchased, some 20-odd years ago. Confession: I thought I was buying the #102, but did not have my reading glasses on! It was about 3 years before I discovered my mistake
Smile Just goes to show that a common angle plane works end grain very well.

That's the #103 on the far right. The far left is the LN #60 1/2. In the middle is the LN rabbet block plane (I do not recommend one buying this one instead of a standard block plane - you WILL cut yourself on the edges! I find it very helpful for truing up the insides of drawer cases) ..

[Image: 1.jpg]

Large is the Stanley #65 and Veritas/Lee Valley LA Block Plane. I came to dislike the fiddly knuckle joint on the Stanley. The Veritas is a fabulous block plane and has the option of a few accessories, such as being converted into a small smoother and also a chamfer plane.

Stanley #65 .. [Image: Aa.jpg]

Lee Valley LA Block Plane: [Image: A12a.jpg]

... and with handle: [Image: A15a.jpg]

My go to block planes are the Veritas Pocket Plane, the Veritas NX60, and the LN 60 1/2. My preference lies for smaller block planes, which rule out the large Stanleys and LV LA.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Man, I really need to up my game....

I only have three , no four block planes.

Four? Maybe they are breeding?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
The 6 in the above picture...are just my "go-to" planes...
Winkgrin
However..see how many are in this tub?   and, there is a second tub in storage...

Last count? 17, counting two I picked last month...
Rolleyes 

Do not leave these things alone....multiply like rabbits....
No

Be very, very careful....or you may wind up with a roomful....DAMHIKT...
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
We devolved into a game of "Can you top this?"

I'm out...

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Well, my post was intended to be informative. If others agree, I’ll delete it.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Where did you find a block plane with a handle? I’ve never seen one like that.
(08-23-2019, 08:09 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Small are planes like the ... Veritas Pocket Plane. All fixed-mouth planes. Of these, the Veritas is an absolute gem! It has a small mouth and a precise adjuster. It is my go to for a lot of work, regardless of it small size.

Veritas and LN:  [Image: B3.jpg]
Couldn’t agree with you more about this Derek. When I bought the Veritas Pocket Plane I thought I would be getting a novelty plane with little practical use. Instead, I too have found it to be extremely useful. I keep the blade skewed in mine, similar to what I also do with a spokeshave, to take a lighter cut on one side and a heavier cut on the other. Highly recommended.
(08-24-2019, 05:25 AM)WxMan Wrote: We devolved into a game of "Can you top this?"

I'm out...

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I think there's some history there....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis