Boat builders out there?
(09-18-2019, 06:04 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Thanks Dave,sorry I got that screwed up.

Mel

You're welcome. I didn't mind but Bob might if he looks in.
Smile

Bob is still alive and well but I think he's got better things to do than hang out in woodworking forums these days. At least that's the impression I get from him when we chat.
(09-18-2019, 06:55 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: You're welcome. I didn't mind but Bob might if he looks in.
Smile

Bob is still alive and well but I think he's got better things to do than hang out in woodworking forums these days. At least that's the impression I get from him when we chat.

Boy did I screw that up,put him on the wrong coast and then spelled his name wrong.T appreciate you setting me straight and if you talk to Bob,tell him I am sorry for the screw up and wish him well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If you want to sail, buy a clean, used sailboat and go sailing. If you want a new career in which you don't get to see your family for many months, take up boat building.
Wood is good. 
(09-18-2019, 09:51 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: If you want to sail, buy a clean, used sailboat and go sailing. If you want a new career in which you don't get to see your family for many months, take up boat building.

Right?

As we study it, boat building, and our needs/wants/time available, we're trying to figure out the best way to go forward. I'm looking at the catamaran builds because they're fairly simple and the hulls are narrow and can be stored on shelves in my garage (12' ceilings). I'm also contemplating modifying the designs to incorporate a small outboard motor to be used if there's no wind.

It's not anything I'm going to start anytime soon. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the building process and it looks fun.
Semper fi,
Brad

Following ez-duzit's advice you shouldn't take up woodworking, either, if you are just doing it to build furniture for your home.
Big Grin

I only spent about 9 months building my first boat. Could have built it in about 2-1/2 or 3 if I'd had heat in my shop at the time.

If you are going to modify a design, look for and learn to use a program called DelftShip. Model the boat in it and do the hydrodynamics. Then make your adjustments based on the weight you'd add to see what changes you might need to make.
Thanks, Dave. I'll check that out.
Semper fi,
Brad

I'm pretty sure that Norm Abram built a sailboat in one or two of the New Yankee Workshop episodes. Probably isn't the style you want but would be worth watching.
I'll check it out. Now I'm leaning towards a 15' skiff. The plans I have can be built to incorporate an outboard, sail, or both. It's a plywood and fiberglass design. Looks like it'll be perfect for taking my kids out on the slow river nest my house.

While I may change my mind in what style I'll eventually build, I know I'm gonna build myself a boat!
Semper fi,
Brad

Here's what I'm looking at now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Definitely, look for used boats to save money if nothing else. Making one will be time consuming and most first timers do it in a class structure.