Skunks
While I live in town, there isn't a house for a mile behind me......last skunk I had messing up the yard got taken out at 3:00am with a .22 magnum.

The village water well is behind my house, they own 15 acres.....it gets patrolled by the police on a regular basis. A former police chief decided to liven up his nightly patrols, bought a supressed Ruger mark III .22  pistol.

We never had a problem with any critters after dark for quite a while.....  
Laugh

Ed
Another has been spotted tonight so trap is set and hopefully he is done.
John T.
well 3 down and tonight we go after the big guy and I mean big. He is sly also. Walked past the trap many times last night. Ate the trail of food right up to the cage but did not go in. I did not see big brother coming last night but he went in instead. This big guy just laughs at you when you shine a light on him. He will be tough. 

Does anyone have any special tricks o get them to go into trap????
John T.
Eliminate the trail of bait food and only bait the trap.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(09-26-2019, 09:26 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: well 3 down and tonight we go after the big guy and I mean big. He is sly also. Walked past the trap many times last night. Ate the trail of food right up to the cage but did not go in. I did not see big brother coming last night but he went in instead. This big guy just laughs at you when you shine a light on him. He will be tough. 

Does anyone have any special tricks o get them to go into trap????

Bait with some kind of cat food made out of fish.  No need to scatter food around.  Raccoons tend to give skunks a lot of free space from what I have seen so no worries about catching one of them if the skunk is about.

I set a trap for the squirrel eating my figs he got all the bait but the smell of them got him caught.  Squirrels blow a valve fairly easy so by the time I saw it in the trap Monday it was dead.  I reset the trap for raccoons using the squirrel as bait, have got 3 possums all different all released.  Never can tell what the night will turn up
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(09-26-2019, 11:53 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Bait with some kind of cat food made out of fish.  No need to scatter food around.  Raccoons tend to give skunks a lot of free space from what I have seen so no worries about catching one of them if the skunk is about.

I set a trap for the squirrel eating my figs he got all the bait but the smell of them got him caught.  Squirrels blow a valve fairly easy so by the time I saw it in the trap Monday it was dead.  I reset the trap for raccoons using the squirrel as bait, have got 3 possums all different all released.  Never can tell what the night will turn up

Boy that statement about the night is so true. Caught a stray cat last night and released it and then a possum. Saw a deer walking down the street the other night too. seems the big daddy skunk has left the area now that his family has been caught. No signs for 2 days now. Still keeping an eye out for damage but will not set trap because of all other creatures now.
John T.
Good to hear the trapping is working. The city here set out traps and caught several small stray children that were roaming in packs at night but unfortunately they were only relocated to their homes instead of far away... 

We have lots of skunks here but they just cause a stink no real damage. What does cause damage are the Pocket Gophers and Moles. I have pretty much gotten the gophers under control a couple being caught by one of our cats and I tool them far away... The others and moles I have found the exhaust from the mower works fairly well. I haven't had near as many tunnels from Moles and I don't have any of the mounds from the gophers. There were times when the yard looked like the beach at Normandy in WW2 in the morning...
(09-28-2019, 11:01 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Good to hear the trapping is working. The city here set out traps and caught several small stray children that were roaming in packs at night but unfortunately they were only relocated to their homes instead of far away... 

We have lots of skunks here but they just cause a stink no real damage. What does cause damage are the Pocket Gophers and Moles. I have pretty much gotten the gophers under control a couple being caught by one of our cats and I tool them far away... The others and moles I have found the exhaust from the mower works fairly well. I haven't had near as many tunnels from Moles and I don't have any of the mounds from the gophers. There were times when the yard looked like the beach at Normandy in WW2 in the morning...

That is the way my lawn is looking from these skunks. Just when I get the grass to start growing in comes the destroyer. Just need to get this ring leader. Sunday night is the big move. I relocated the trap. I will will set the tuna out with a little peanut butter on a plate too this time incase he hates tuna. All the rest loved the tuna. This is getting old and I had enough. But I just can not give up now.
John T.
(09-28-2019, 10:28 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: That is the way my lawn is looking from these skunks. Just when I get the grass to start growing in comes the destroyer. Just need to get this ring leader. Sunday night is the big move. I relocated the trap. I will will set the tuna out with a little peanut butter on a plate too this time incase he hates tuna. All the rest loved the tuna. This is getting old and I had enough. But I just can not give up now.

These are what the gophers would do. As you can see what Edgar thought of them... That mound was not there when I opened the door to the shop and less than an hour later that mound was there and he was shoveling dirt out.  Often I would go out in the morning and there would be a trail of mounds every 2' or so with about 6 or more mounds. Those mounds are about one and a half 5 gallon buckets of sand. The tunnels are also a problem as they make great underground pipes and water will disappear into them by the 100s of gallons and then carry away sand to fill the hole. Skunks have nothing on gopher damage they just dig little holes...

[Image: 11212010241.jpg]" />

[Image: 11192010235-001.jpg]" />
Yea that is some damage for sure. Saw skunk last night and seems we have a new member because it was not the grand daddy. This guy laughed at me all night. Lights do not scare him, nor noise or anything and I watched as he just tore up all my freshly planted grass. I wish I had more than one trap. I am really tired of this.
John T.