Saw Stop Portable Table Saw vs Dewalt
Hi guys,

I’ve been looking for a portable table saw to use in my garage. I don’t have a lot of space. I narrowed it down to the Dewalt 10” DWE7491 ($599) or the Saw Stop JSS-120A60 ($1,299). You can’t beat the safety angle of the Saw Stop. They both seem comparable. Does anyone own either that can provide me real use experience? I moved and downsized big time. I need to make every inch count.

Thanks

Mike
(10-05-2019, 03:49 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi guys,

I’ve been looking for a portable table saw to use in my garage. I don’t have a lot of space. I narrowed it down to the Dewalt 10” DWE7491 ($599) or the Saw Stop JSS-120A60 ($1,299). You can’t beat the safety angle of the Saw Stop. They both seem comparable. Does anyone own either that can provide me real use experience? I moved and downsized big time. I need to make every inch count.

Thanks

Mike

I own a saw stop CNS, and use the JSS when I work with Habitat for Humanity.  They are good quality saws.   However, I cannot compare it to the Dewalt, since I have not used it.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Only used the SS JSS briefly.

But the decision is easy to make between your two choices once you know if you're willing to pay the extra money for the safety feature in the JSS. Take the Dewalt, if you don't need/want the finger saving technology or if you don't want to ditch out the extra money (some consider it insurance payment).

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-head...d-to-head/

Overall ranking given.

Simon
(10-06-2019, 02:43 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Only used the SS JSS briefly.

But the decision is easy to make between your two choices once you know if you're willing to pay the extra money for the safety feature in the JSS. Take the Dewalt, if you don't need/want the finger saving technology or if you don't want to ditch out the extra money (some consider it insurance payment).

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-head...d-to-head/

Overall ranking given.

Simon
Simon,

Thanks for the link. That was great feedback on both saws. I was planning on just buying the Dewalt until I saw an ad in one of my magazines for the Saw Stop. I had a full shop (2,800 sq ft) with a Delta cabinet saw and never gave it a second thought. Now, at 64 I'm not as rock solid as I used to be and in a garage shop, so safety has a bigger place. I'm a little disappointed that the motor bogs down under a load. You would think on a saw of this type this would not be an issue. I plan to go to Woodcraft to see it.

Thanks again for the info. 

Mike
(10-06-2019, 03:45 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Simon,

Thanks for the link. That was great feedback on both saws. I was planning on just buying the Dewalt until I saw an ad in one of my magazines for the Saw Stop. I had a full shop (2,800 sq ft) with a Delta cabinet saw and never gave it a second thought. Now, at 64 I'm not as rock solid as I used to be and in a garage shop, so safety has a bigger place. I'm a little disappointed that the motor bogs down under a load. You would think on a saw of this type this would not be an issue. I plan to go to Woodcraft to see it.

Thanks again for the info. 

Mike

I downsized last year from a delta 12/14 to a Bosch portable saw. If you are that concerned about the safety issues, just make sure you run the saw with the guards in place. They all come with a riving knife, so as long as the blade guard doesnt get in the way, you shouldnt have to worry too much about fingers.
I have one of the Ridgid portable saws and they work great. I think they are better than the DeWalt as I have used both.
Unless you need to store it on a shelf or take it to job site or something The footprint for many of the contractor / hybrid saws is not significantly larger than a contractor saw and you can always add a mobile base if you need to move it out of the way.
(10-09-2019, 05:51 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Unless you need to store it on a shelf or take it to job site or something The  footprint for many of the contractor / hybrid saws is not significantly larger than a contractor saw and you can always add a mobile base if you need to move it out of the way.

That's what I was thinking. If Mike 55 doesn't need throw-it-in-the-truck portability, I'd look at one of the hybrids with trunnions bolted to the cabinet (not the top) and a mobile base and smaller or cut-down fence. Compare footprints, you might be surprised. And dust collection should be better with an enclosed base if that matters.
(10-11-2019, 04:48 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: That's what I was thinking. If Mike 55 doesn't need throw-it-in-the-truck portability, I'd look at one of the hybrids with trunnions bolted to the table (not the top) and a mobile base and smaller or cut-down fence. Compare footprints, you might be surprised. And dust collection should be better with an enclosed base if that matters.

I don't need to ever move this out of my garage. I'm going to Woodcraft next week to checkout several saws. Most of the contractor saws have a 30" fence that makes the width around 50". Space is really an issue in a 20 X 25 garage that I need to keep the car in. When I sold my house up north I sold most of my tools but I kept my 14" bandsaw, oscillating sander, 12 mitersaw and mortiser. Oh, and my workbench and clamp cart. I also took up 12 feet of wall space for my lumber rack.  I feel closed in already. LOL
(10-11-2019, 06:39 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: I don't need to ever move this out of my garage. I'm going to Woodcraft next week to checkout several saws. Most of the contractor saws have a 30" fence that makes the width around 50". Space is really an issue in a 20 X 25 garage that I need to keep the car in. When I sold my house up north I sold most of my tools but I kept my 14" bandsaw, oscillating sander, 12 mitersaw and mortiser. Oh, and my workbench and clamp cart. I also took up 12 feet of wall space for my lumber rack.  I feel closed in already. LOL
I mis-typed in my reply. I meant trunnions fastened to the cabinet not the top. I have 27" to the right of the blade on my Griz 1023, have a home made router table in place of the right wing. I haven't found the narrower table a shortcoming. I don't need much space to the right of the blade others may want a half acre saw top. Most common saws are 27"+ from front to back so any space savings will most likely come from a narrower table and storing the saw with the back against the wall. I guess you could go with the contractor style and make a custom portable base with room underneath to store other stuff.