Problems with Nova Titan chuck
I bought a used lathe (laguna 18/47); it came with a Nova Titan II chuck. Looks like it has never been used; anyway, when I thread it onto the shaft, it goes up to the back shoulder then stops before going over the shoulder. The size of the threads on the chuck are shown as 1.25 with the standard 1/8 threads. I'm wondering why this chuck is slightly smaller than the shoulder and won't go all the way to where it is supposed to?

Here's a picture. I'm just using it like this. I can't use the set screws because they will hit the threads....

[attachment=22111]
Now where is that chisel
(11-21-2019, 11:41 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I bought a used lathe (laguna 18/47); it came with a Nova Titan II chuck. Looks like it has never been used; anyway, when I thread it onto the shaft, it goes up to the back shoulder then stops before going over the shoulder. The size of the threads on the chuck are shown as 1.25 with the standard 1/8 threads. I'm wondering why this chuck is slightly smaller than the shoulder and won't go all the way to where it is supposed to?

I'm a take the path of least resistance..  kind of guy.    

I'd simply call Laguna and be prepared to email pics...   

Good Luck
Slow Dancing..... doing vertically what you're wanting to do horizontally
Not sure what version of the Titan you have new 111 models come direct threaded, so don’t need to buy a threaded adapter. Doesn’t matter if add spindle washers to fill the space. You can buy or make your own!

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/112...dle-Washer
Bill
Laguna keeps saying the same thing "we no longer support that lathe with parts" no real answer that would require research on their part.
Now where is that chisel
If your chuck is fully screwed onto the spindle and runs true whether hand turn or with late runnig not sure you have a problem.  Not sure why want chuck go over shoulder on spindle! Really need you to take & post a picture  to show us what talking about.  

Laguna doesn’t even have a manual on that lathe at their web site.  Online manuals pictures don’t show a shoulder on the spindle.
Bill
I think the shoulder is what the set screws would tighten against? Since it won't go over the small shoulder at the back of the threads; I can't tighten them down because they would be right on the threads.
Now where is that chisel
I've read and re-read your post 3 or 4 times and I don't understand the problem. When you wrote, "... it goes up to the back shoulder then stops before going over the shoulder" , I don't know what you're saying.

Can you post a photo to show us what you mean?

ETA: Do you simply mean that you can not thread the chuck all the way on the spindle head?
I have been in contact with a machinist; he took it to work and tested it with some kind of reference bar. His suggestion was, get another chuck. I'm in contact with Nova and they are "contemplating" sending me another one. I hope they do, because have bought several jaws that fit this chuck.
It fit, it was just not machined very well and wobbled.
Now where is that chisel
I would suggest trying a different adapter: one that is actually made by Teknatool. Some places sell third-party adapters for the Nova chucks that are not very good. My local Woodcraft sometimes has the Teknatool in stock and sometimes only has the third-party.

Once you have an adapter that actually fits your lathe, take out the adapter and the rubber washer in your picture and put the good adapter in without the washer between the adapter and the chuck. That soft material will cause a some wobble when you are turning anything rough or making anything except the lightest cuts.

If your machinist friend is evaluating the chuck in the configuration you posted (thinking that that is what you needed), then his evaluation may be biased by the improperly installed adapter.

It is still possible that there is a problem with your Titan chuck. They had some production problems with that model for a while that lead to them being out of production for a number of years. It just is not fair to evaluate the chuck with a bad adapter that was improperly installed.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
You say you are not using the set screw but isn't that what we are seeing in the picture?
Could that be keeping the chuck from getting fully seated on the spindle?