Retirement coming...oh yeah!
Hey all.   I’ve been a member here for 10 or so years and haven’t kept up on woodworking content and discussions in recent years.  You know how the career goes.  This was a place of awesome support and insights when I had time to grow my woodworking talent.  I’ve had the woodworking bug for 25 or so years.  

Anyhow, I have taken retirement for this February and I am so looking forward to getting in the dust and learning/sharing with this group.   Cheers!

A few picture from my last project set:

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome back! That project suggests you have forgotten nothing in the interim.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Great looking set of tables!  

Congrats on the pending retirement.  

I'm likely on final approach as well.  Have decided over the past four months that I just don't like the paying work I'm doing.  Time for a change and to do something of value.
Nice table. From the looks of the table I don't think you'll have too much "catching up" 
Smile

On a retirement note... You're going to love it. I've been retired more than three years and have found I don't have time to do all the fun things like woodworking, photography, metal detecting, shooting and ATVing. And the chores... they can always wait for another day 
Cool
I give the same advice to all my friends who are retiring.  The word you are looking for, need to learn, practice, and use, is: "NO."
 Do the things you want to do:

Spend some time with Grand kids..
Volunteer with an organization, or two.
Run an errand or two for your kids.
Babysit, when you Want To.

Otherwise... "No... I'm sorry, I can't, I have other plans."

I have several friends ten years into retirement who just can't say no...
... And are busier than when they were working.  They don't have time for themselves.

Dad, can you?

Pick up Johnny from school and drop him at soccer on Tuesdays?
Sarah at ballet on Monday and Wednesdays?
Oh, Johnny has scouts on Thursdays.. We can take him to games on most Saturdays.
We can pick them up in the evenings when they are done.

They were in a van pool for the activities, but Bob and I had to take our turns in the rotations, and that meant time off from work when our turns rolled around.  Now that You're retired with nothing to do... 
No

Then every club/organization you ever heard of will not only try to get you to join, but want you to run for an office.
After all, you have nothing but time...

I can attest first hand.
Charity work, EMTs in Two Squads, babysitting... Officers in various organizations.  After that first few years, we slowly withdrew... Cut way back.  NO worked.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Let me revise what I said a little.
I hole heartedly agree with BrokenOlMarine.

What I meant to say was that between all my hobbies I have very little time for anything else. I have housekeepers for the inside of the house and gardeners for the outside of the house. I only do things/favors outside my hobbies and leisure time if and when I feel like it which is very rare. The NO works very well
Yes
When I had a day job, there were a few folks that said they didn't want to retire because they wouldn't have anything to do. For me, after I retired i couldn't figure out how I had time for work. You'll get it nailed down, and congrats on your impending retirement! It would be remiss of me to not mention just how beautiful those tables are! 
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes Well done! One other thing, sort of about saying "no". If you spend enough time around here and elsewhere, these type of forums will convince you that you always need to upgrade your tools, or buy the next shiny thing introduced, or spend money on something (trust me on this)...saying "no" at least to give time to think things through is a good thing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice table and a great use of tiger maple.

I retired in January of this year and the first thing I did is do a full decompression. 40 + years as a tech, team leader and manger puts a toll onto the body with all the traveling etc. I live in a 55 plus community that has 10K sq ft shop. After doing work around the house and gardening I'm now getting my new garage shop up and running. In about a week I will be back making all kinds of saw dust. 

Today for the first time I went to the shop to volunteer to do maintenance. They do it every Saturday. I checked, cleaned and adjusted tablesaws, sanders and bandsaws. It was a lot of fun and afterwards you chat up a storm. 

On another note.... after getting up at 5AM most days, it nice to get up when you want and have things to do or nothing to do. 

Good luck on your retirement.
Impressive insights and feedback, thanks team! Your wise thoughts on my next steps are enlightening. Your call to attention on things that I need in my pocket as I learn about this life in retirement are valuable. I get the “No” as one key in my pocket. Haven’t thought just yet about that, but get it.

Along with my wife, my 25 year old son, woodworking and the 1980 Z28, I guess they all take precedence over work. Note, work dropped to last...or soon to be forgotten.

The guys and gals of Woodnet can look forward to a few more questions and support from me down the road. Take care and thank you.

Best, Justin
Welcome back, and good looking table you have there
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020