Popular Woodworking Sloyd cabinet
(12-16-2019, 03:54 PM)mstens Wrote: I've done this more often then you'd believe.. 

(as the photographer)

You may have done that but you seem to have missed my point: you're reshooting an outdoor scene but not necessarily capturing the same scene, same light, and same angle at the time that the original photograph was taken. Anyone who has taken outdoor photos knows that the time of the day, the weather and the light all could be the same, but still, the outcome could be different.

Now, we also know publishers these days can "reshoot" using an editing program without stepping outside.

Simon
Chuckles aside for the unfortunate mistake of the cabinet being made too short and likely photographed as is to meet a deadline, I assume the magazine article is about building a tool cabinet. As a woodworker, I have changed every plan or idea I have ever used to adapt it to my needs. It doesn't seem a difficult challenge to measure one's tools and make one's own cabinet a bit longer if needed. 

Does the article have useful information? The cabinet is attractive and looks to be nicely made.
(12-16-2019, 04:06 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: You may have done that but you seem to have missed my point: you're reshooting an outdoor scene but not necessarily capturing the same scene, same light, and same angle at the time that the original photograph was taken. Anyone who has taken outdoor photos knows that the time of the day, the weather and the light all could be the same, but still, the outcome could be different.

Now, we also know publishers these days can "reshoot" using an editing program without stepping outside.

Simon

You also missed mine. Reshoots happen all the time. You're correct about those variables, but generally it's manageable (really, this is part of being a professional), especially in the digital realm (most of my outdoor shoots of things where it's 'critical' are actually using artificial - read controllable - light too btw) This one? The actual one in question? Meh, it's a 5 minute shot, by someone without any real education in photography, with a cellphone .. and it shows. There was a time, not so long ago, this wouldn't have even been considered by a photo editor for publication.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
This is a "sloyd" cabinet? Where's the sloyd knife? I don't see a sloyd knife. I don't see any knife. 

And, why would I want a can of oil dribbling a greasy mess all over inside and creeping outside the case? I don't even own an oil can. Haven't had one since I was a kid 60 years ago, when I oiled my bike chain and could sneak out of the yard before Mom found a chore or two for me.

Anything else I can nit-pik? ....
Maybe compare it to one of the boxes from Handy Andy.....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The saws fit in the original they used as a model.  This was an article by a North Bennet Street School graduate.  Makes me wonder if both PWW and NBSS are lacking in attention to detail.  The original didn't have a knife either.  The oil was to lubricate the oil stone for sharpening tools.  The build is somewhat interesting, given the first thing they do is cut finger joints on a table saw (power tools being used to create a tool cabinet for hand tools seems paradoxical to me).

The author wrote a more detailed article in his blog.
https://rainfordrestorations.com/tag/slo...l-cabinet/

[Image: sidebar-1a-cb-sloydtoolcabinet-1024x979.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If you follow your link above and pan down the page a ways, the picture on that page shows the saws hanging past the bottom of the door also.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Was interesting enough, that I just subscribed to that site.  
Cool   Already have the tools for a Sloyd tool chest....IF I can find the dimensions of the tool chest, I might even build that.   Might lay out the tools, later....would need to find a knife, though...
Uhoh

There IS a store down in Springfield, OH....Heart of Ohio....that MIGHT have such a knife.....would take a day of walking around inside the store ( 8 rooms!) and maybe a few rest breaks
Rolleyes     Have found quite a few tools hidden away there...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Interesting article by Doug Stowe on Sloyd and modern application: http://www.dougstowe.com/educator_resour...8sloyd.pdf

Sloyd is a teaching method rather than any one or collection of tools. 

This book https://archive.org/details/teachershand...lo/page/n6 is frequently given as a reference on the teaching method and has some pretty good stuff including the series of exercises (models) and a list and description of suitable tools (including the so called "Sloyd Knife" -- but I think they just call it a "knife"). 

One could update the models and tool list to reflect a more modern kit. Heck, even a "Power Tool Sloyd" if one was so inclined. That'd be a fun way to mess with a few minds.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(12-17-2019, 12:23 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Was interesting enough, that I just subscribed to that site.  
Cool    Already have the tools for a Sloyd tool chest....IF I can find the dimensions of the tool chest, I might even build that.  

The article on the PopWood web site is complete and has the drawings. Just be sure to get a good metal sheer so you can cut off the toes of the saws... 
Big Grin
Uhoh
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin