Grizzly 10" hybrid table saw (G7015P) --belt-removing issue
I was advised by Grizzy to remove the drive belt as a first step in finding out why the machine has begun vibrating when powered up.  But I’ve run into a problem.  I de-tensioned the belt fully and had no trouble removing the belt from the motor pulley and the arbor pulley, so it sits loosely in the empty space, but I' can't remove it from the machine altogether. Very tight quarters!  From what the folks at tech-support have told me, my problem is common.  They’ve suggested that I remove the motor – and as a last resort, remove the top.  I’d rather avoid those options if at all possible. So I’m writing this note to see whether there are any Woodnetters who can offer any advice.  I’d be grateful for whatever suggestions you have to offer.  Thanks in advance! 

(01-23-2020, 11:15 AM)jihhwood Wrote: I was advised by Grizzy to remove the drive belt as a first step in finding out why the machine has begun vibrating when powered up.  But I’ve run into a problem.  I de-tensioned the belt fully and had no trouble removing the belt from the motor pulley and the arbor pulley, so it sits loosely in the empty space, but I' can't remove it from the machine altogether. Very tight quarters!  From what the folks at tech-support have told me, my problem is common.  They’ve suggested that I remove the motor – and as a last resort, remove the top.  I’d rather avoid those options if at all possible. So I’m writing this note to see whether there are any Woodnetters who can offer any advice.  I’d be grateful for whatever suggestions you have to offer.  Thanks in advance! 

With the blade removed,  and the belts off the pulleys and the motor tightened try starting the motor, if no vibration it is not the motor, before reinstalling the belts check the pulley set screws and see if there are two set screws in the same hole, one acting as a lock screw, tighten the set screws. Do the same on the arbor pulleys.   Check that the belts are not damaged and flexible along there length with out a hardened spot where it sat on a pulley for a long time.  reattach and tension the belts, then still without the blade installed start it up, if you have vibration look at the belts when it has vibration to see if they are the problem.  If no vibration put on a different blade and check.  (bet it is the belts unless they were loose)  Roly
(01-26-2020, 07:59 PM)Roly Wrote: With the blade removed,  and the belts off the pulleys and the motor tightened try starting the motor, if no vibration it is not the motor, before reinstalling the belts check the pulley set screws and see if there are two set screws in the same hole, one acting as a lock screw, tighten the set screws. Do the same on the arbor pulleys.   Check that the belts are not damaged and flexible along there length with out a hardened spot where it sat on a pulley for a long time.  reattach and tension the belts, then still without the blade installed start it up, if you have vibration look at the belts when it has vibration to see if they are the problem.  If no vibration put on a different blade and check.  (bet it is the belts unless they were loose)  Roly

Thanks, Roly.  The motor checks out.  I've uncovered the source of the problem: a badly damaged arbor shaft, damaged when one of the keys (apparently defective) gave way.  As a result,  parts of the assembly were destroyed.  I'm in the middle of an arbor rebuild right now.