Popular Woodworking Sloyd cabinet
Given the handle and no French cleats or mounting hardware included, the cabinet as designed should be for carrying.

Simon
Both of the original boxes I have seen IN the article....of actual boxes....shows the saws stopping about an INCH from the bottom of the door.  

Disston even sold 16" and 18" Panel saws...rip and crosscut.  Happen to have a Disston D (no hyphen)8 20" crosscut saw....10ppi, with a fully readable etch.....been using a slightly shorter 6ppi for a few chores in the shop....

The oil(y) stone would have been in a case.   Lift the lid to use the stone....seen a lot of such "cased" oil stones while out of the Rust Hunt trail....

Of course, since this seems to be more of an anti PWW crusade.....I'll let you all carry on.....don't let a few stray facts get in your way.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-19-2019, 11:45 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Both of the original boxes I have seen IN the article....of actual boxes....shows the saws stopping about an INCH from the bottom of the door.  

Disston even sold 16" and 18" Panel saws...rip and crosscut.  Happen to have a Disston D (no hyphen)8 20" crosscut saw....10ppi, with a fully readable etch.....been using a slightly shorter 6ppi for a few chores in the shop....

The oil(y) stone would have been in a case.   Lift the lid to use the stone....seen a lot of such "cased" oil stones while out of the Rust Hunt trail....

Of course, since this seems to be more of an anti PWW crusade.....I'll let you all carry on.....don't let a few stray facts get in your way.

Little tip to others, while on the "rust trail": those oil stones in cases (fancier, not plastic), are generally better, natural stones, like Washitas, hard or black Arkansas. To those not so much in the know (Steve would know this), scratch the surface of the stone, with better/finer stones, feeling much smoother.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
In today's digital age we have something called Photoshop. That and a couple of minutes I could chop off the end of those LN saws making them fit to the cabinet. Its details like this that I stopped getting PW.
I reached my limit: the issue before the current one had an article about architectural door trim, in which frequent references were made in the first half of the article to the "door jam."  Those who have had small children in the house know that door jam is what you get when you let the kids walk about with a jam sandwich.  When you do that, you also get wall jam, coffee table jam, sofa jam...

At some point, someone - I don't think they have any copy editors at Popular Woodworking anymore, so I have no idea who it was - realized the correct word for the piece of door trim that goes into the wall opening, from which the door is hung, or against which it swings, is the door jamb, and from there on out in the article, the correct word is used.  But it occurred to no one to go back and fix the first half of the article; or there was no time before the presses started rolling.

I feel sympathy for the editorial staff; based on the magazine masthead and the extensive website, I think the print magazine is something that the publisher permits them to work on only in odd moments.  But I don't have to inflict pain on myself; I've cancelled my subscription.

And my decision was confirmed when the current issue came out, featuring someone's "Maker Dream Shop" on the cover.  I guess I should get over my visceral reaction (my viscera churn and gurgle) to the word "maker," and just celebrate that doing stuff by hand has been rediscovered.  But I truly dislike the word; it just carries with it, for me, a sense that the folks who see themselves as "makers" think they've come up with something no one ever thought of before.

Too bad.  It had a good run.
(02-22-2020, 03:45 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I reached my limit: <SNIP>

Too bad.  It had a good run.

Don't sigh in relief too soon. 

You still have the "we need you to sign 30 forms and leap through another 50 hoops to maybe, convince them You really are you to cancel your auto-renewal settings. Then the dread is the continued delivery of the ad flier, ... er ... magazine, and threats and then, credit collections. I once closed a credit card to stop one  ex. subscription's withdrawals. 

Finally, when the abuse is settled, wailing begins. "You can sign up at 50%, 25%, 10% ... FREE!! for 6 months!
Smirk
I actually feel sorry for all publishers trying to put out a quality magazine in today's cyber world.  At one point I had 7 subscriptions to wood related magazines and looked forward to their arrival.  PW lost me a couple of years ago; I am down to one mag. and may not renew in two years.

The original post was about the cover and I have to agree the picture shouted loud and clear "we don't care any more".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-23-2020, 11:49 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Don't sigh in relief too soon. 

You still have the "we need you to sign 30 forms and leap through another 50 hoops to maybe, convince them

Fine Woodworking kept sending me "Renewal Cards" or letters or notices before and after the end of my subscription. Kinda reminded me of the saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

The April issue PW has an article on making butterfly key that takes up 5 pages, a sign that they needed space filled. No kidding, they use 23 photographs to show you how to make butterfly keys. I could only imagine if it were a dovetail box, they could have put 230 shots there. I didn't count how many pages of ads this time.

But it's not just PW. The amount of recycled materials in other woodworking magazines is horrendous, and they like to cover simple techniques with pages after pages.

Simon
Most magazines now will try to get you to renew several months before your subscription expires. I refuse to do that. You're basically giving them a loan to increase their cash flow - at your expense. When I was a subscriber, my responses to Popular Woodworking's renewal notices had me inadvertently extending my subscription for 2 years. When I paid attention to the expiration date, I realized most other magazines try the same ploy. Also, keep in mind that every renewal offer isn't from the magazine. Many third parties out there try to get your money because the magazine sells their subscriber list to other marketing outlets.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I am an opportunist, so the Wood Archivist is a bookmark for ideas. Lo and behold, look at what I found a few days ago. 

http://woodarchivist.com/1286-tool-cabinet-plans/  And, surprise! Staring our favorite woodworking entrepreneur. 

Now, don't get your panties twisted because things aren't the same. It's just that they are! Dimension confusion. Life in another book; another article. A tweak here and there. We have the perpetual twist and turn of design, a style; a Gerstner or, Union. Are those predecessors just as badly recorded? Do we have corrections four months ahead? 

Or, do we give up, throw away the photocopy inspiration and let interested parties fend for themselves...