Delta Scroll Saw Obsolete After 20 Years
I purchased a Delta 40-540 scroll saw from a friend a couple of years back and just had a project come up that it would be suited for making small parts.  After printing a manual and servicing it, I found it worked nicely with the blade it had on it which was for thin stock.  My project called for 1 inch stock so I attempted to install the proper blade.  In the process of tensioning, part of the assembly broke. (part # 1343632)  A search of the web revealed that this part is not available anywhere.  This machine is only 20m years old.  Anybody else have this problem?  Are there any manufacturers out there who support their machines with parts better than this or are they all in on the "Planned Obsolescence" game?
Pretty much anyone that owns an older Delta anything is having the same problems. I did search that part number and found one place that says they 1 in stock, if that helps. Here you go.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
FWIW, I don't think it was planned obsolescence when it was made.  Delta was sold yet again not all that long ago, and their spare parts supply line was gutted.  20 years ago they still had a robust parts stream and support, and a broad range of machines.  Now, Delta is just another name.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
woodnet thread on same saw

If you find a workaround... let me know. I spent a couple of hours at least trying to find a solution (parts).

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(03-12-2020, 08:33 AM)Lee Ohmart Wrote: I purchased a Delta 40-540 scroll saw from a friend a couple of years back and just had a project come up that it would be suited for making small parts.  After printing a manual and servicing it, I found it worked nicely with the blade it had on it which was for thin stock.  My project called for 1 inch stock so I attempted to install the proper blade.  In the process of tensioning, part of the assembly broke. (part # 1343632)  A search of the web revealed that this part is not available anywhere.  This machine is only 20m years old.  Anybody else have this problem?  Are there any manufacturers out there who support their machines with parts better than this or are they all in on the "Planned Obsolescence" game?

Yes, it's unfortunate, but Delta has been in this mode for some time, as evidenced by posts on this forum and others over the past few years.  Old Delta scroll saws are getting snapped up off of the used market, just to scavenge for parts.  It's too bad, because they made a pretty decent saw.

As for other manufacturers and how they support their products?  I say it's all a crap shoot.  Just because parts are readily available today doesn't mean anything for 10-20 years from now.  Who knows how the tool manufacturing landscape might change in that time?  Name brands that we've known and loved for years will be sold to new owners or may even be gone completely.  

I will say that all manufacturers have to make tough decisions about how long they support older products.  It isn't easy and it isn't cheap.  I work for a manufacturing company that has produced equipment for over 60 years.  We still make a few of the same machines that were made 60 years ago, but they represent a small % of our revenue these days.  Our product line and market has changed drastically over that time.  We try to support our equipment for as long as practical, but there are limits.  We don't always have the luxury of determining when our products are obsolete and unable to be supported.  Often it's components we buy from other vendors that go obsolete that force our hand.  New technologies and competition force us to change our product line and move away from legacy products.  Lots of factors at play in making those decisions.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-12-2020, 09:20 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Pretty much anyone that owns an older Delta anything is having the same problems. I did search that part number and found one place that says they 1 in stock, if that helps. Here you go.

Thanks.  None of my searches uncovered that source.
(03-12-2020, 09:30 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: woodnet thread on same saw

If you find a workaround... let me know. I spent a couple of hours at least trying to find a solution (parts).

A buddy of mine found a YouTube video that a guy posted on how he welded on some new aluminum and made it work. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v504FWaGxKE  )I'm off with the part to another friend who machines gun parts to see what magic he can summon.
(03-12-2020, 10:27 AM)Lee Ohmart Wrote: A buddy of mine found a YouTube video that a guy posted on how he welded on some new aluminum and made it work. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v504FWaGxKE  )I'm off with the part to another friend who machines gun parts to see what magic he can summon.

I took the part to the machinist.  For between $125-150
he can machine out a part from aircraft grade aluminum that will be about the same weight and almost as strong as mild steel.  Figuring that I was looking at a Dewalt DW788 for $439, I felt it was worth having him machine it out.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Good on you for finding a workaround!

There are home shop machinists out there too that can
often fab up a fix.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(03-12-2020, 05:23 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Good on you for finding a workaround!

There are home shop machinists out there too that can
often fab up a fix.

I blame it on being born a Maine Yankee with Scots heritage.  The thought of trashing an otherwise perfectly good tool was really grating on me.  I had entertained the thought of parting it out but that's such a hassle.  This solution had several benefits.  I keep the tool I know at least a little about, my Yankee and Scots forefathers will not be spinning in their grave, and best of all, I had an excuse to hang out in a gun shop for a couple of hours swapping lies, complaining about politics and drooling over some very fine firearms.  Bonus to this was that the machinist and I are both woodworkers and grandparents so we compared pictures on out phones.  One door closes, another door opens.