Dust Collection
Anyone use the "Dust Right" system from Rockler? I have a Penn State 2 1/2 HP DC with 6" main PVC trunk line in the ceiling. Would like a little more flexibility. If you have it, likes and dislikes?

Thanks,

Doug
I use some of it and really like it.  The flexible hose is fantastic compared to regular 4" hose, and it has allowed me to run multiple machines off one hose because it's so easy to switch back and forth.  I have broken a couple of the handles on the hose end fittings, but I think they have improved that design.
This is one of those love-it or hate-it products. The hose is a godsend for some and a nightmare for others. Depends on your use. I'm in the nightmare camp. Doesn't make me right ;-).
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. GeeDub could you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Doug
Everyone has different definitions of things, including nightmare, of course. But I have never come across one single owner of the Dust Right FlexiPort Power Tool Hose Kit (if that's what you're considering) who has regarded the product as one of their worst experiences. The main complaint I've heard from my two buddies is that the hose is heavy compared to all other common hoses we use. Since I use it as an extension hose supported on a surface, the weight issue isn't a problem for me. Then again, some people think the Festool DF700 machine is perfect for any size of jobs, while many insist that it is too big for small jobs.

Every user I know likes its ports as they do fit the tools they have, and the hose's flexibility. The ID/OD may work for our tools, but not necessarily so for yours. Check before you buy.

If your interest is in the 4'' Dia. Dust Right® Hose, 2' L Compressed, I have had no experience with it, except that one owner complained that it did not really extend to 14', more like 10' or a little more as it tended to coil back. Other than that, she was happy with it.

Simon
(03-15-2020, 08:42 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Everyone has different definitions of things, including nightmare, of course. But I have never come across one single owner of the Dust Right FlexiPort Power Tool Hose Kit (if that's what you're considering) who has regarded the product as one of their worst experiences. The main complaint I've heard from my two buddies is that the hose is heavy compared to all other common hoses we use. Since I use it as an extension hose supported on a surface, the weight issue isn't a problem for me. Then again, some people think the Festool DF700 machine is perfect for any size of jobs, while many insist that it is too big for small jobs.

Every user I know likes its ports as they do fit the tools they have, and the hose's flexibility. The ID/OD may work for our tools, but not necessarily so for yours. Check before you buy.

If your interest is in the 4'' Dia. Dust Right® Hose, 2' L Compressed, I have had no experience with it, except that one owner complained that it did not really extend to 14', more like 10' or a little more as it tended to coil back. Other than that, she was happy with it.

Simon

Simon,

This video on the Rockler website piqued my interest. Right now I have my 8" jointer plumbed into the main trunk permanently. I have one other line that I use for the other tools right now (still working on fitting up my shop). Because of the unusual configuration of the shop layout, and the distances from my dust collector to tools in the back of the shop, this system interested me. I have one of those tapered quick disconnect fittings on the end of the hose that you can just slide off of the connection and move over to another tool. I particularly liked the handle feature on the Rockler hose, and the flexibility of the hose that extends and contracts.

The other thing that seemed interesting and that might be convenient were the connecting stations that could be placed around the shop for different hookups. Again, the main feature for me was the flexibility of this system. All my large "stationary" tools are on casters, and are moved around the shop depending on what project I'm working on and how much space is required. Also, I really don't want to run 6" PVC pipe (heavy and bulky) all over the shop to service all my tools. When I get my lathe installed, hopefully this summer, it will be the farthest distance from the DC, which is located in the corner of my garage, which is contiguous space to my basement shop. 

Some of the smaller tools I may choose to handle with shop vacs. I've had one forever and inherited another. 

Thanks again to all for your comments and suggestions thus far. Further discussion and experience with this system encouraged.

Doug

Stationary tools:

8" jointer
15" planer
3 HP cabinet saw
Drill press (floor model)
Two bandsaws

Future tools in the queue:

Midi lathe
Large Dewalt RAS
That's the same hose system she has, and she has had no other problems with it.

Simon
(03-15-2020, 12:34 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That's the same hose system she has, and she has had no other problems with it.

Simon

Thanks - what version of this system do you have, please?

Doug
(03-15-2020, 12:43 PM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks - what version of this system do you have, please?

Doug

That I wouldn't know as I have never been to her shop. If my memory serves me, she  did not have the accessories for floor clean-up, and used the Dust Right for no more than three machines in addition to the dust collector.

Simon
(03-15-2020, 01:13 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That I wouldn't know as I have never been to her shop. If my memory serves me, she  did not have the accessories for floor clean-up, and used the Dust Right for no more than three machines in addition to the dust collector.

Simon

Sorry, I thought you had some version of it in your shop.

"Since I use it as an extension hose supported on a surface, the weight issue isn't a problem for me." 

Doug