Pulling cat5
I need to pull cat5 from the basement to the living room, problem is that the only accessible point in the living room is above a heating vent. Not a problem from that point since I can give more than enough room to not worry about heat. The problem is that the cable has to come up through the floor, then make a right turn through a stud. Concern is with the plastic head, don't want to screw that up. I have stranded wire right now making the run, any suggestions for a good way to connect the two to pull them through the holes (1" holes, the hole in the stud is as a 60-deg angle, so it's not really a right angle).
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I had some to pull...needed 35'. I bought 50' and cut one end off. It wasn't very much money to buy a new end and tool to press it on. Worth the headache that saved!
(03-30-2020, 05:31 PM)JosephP Wrote: I had some to pull...needed 35'. I bought 50' and cut one end off.  It wasn't very much money to buy a new end and tool to press it on.  Worth the headache that saved!

I've don't that with phone cable, but that's flat. Cat5 is round, at least what I see in my area, how do you know what wires go where?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(03-30-2020, 04:56 PM)Scouter Wrote: ... any suggestions for a good way to connect the two to pull them through the holes (1" holes, the hole in the stud is as a 60-deg angle, so it's not really a right angle).

I've had good luck with this kind if thing by joining the wire to whatever I'm pulling it with using a good wrap of blue tape--then more blue tape as padding on the tender bits.  Extend the (yeah, once more) blue tape out each end to make a taper so you slide around the bends instead of getting hung up.
(03-30-2020, 06:59 PM)grwold Wrote: I've had good luck with this kind if thing by joining the wire to whatever I'm pulling it with using a good wrap of blue tape--then more blue tape as padding on the tender bits.  Extend the (yeah, once more) blue tape out each end to make a taper so you slide around the bends instead of getting hung up.

You're talking about painter's tape?
Mike

(03-30-2020, 05:33 PM)Scouter Wrote: I've don't that with phone cable, but that's flat. Cat5 is round, at least what I see in my area, how do you know what wires go where?

Google is your friend. There are diagrams on the net.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-30-2020, 07:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Google is your friend. There are diagrams on the net.

Google is no one's friend. They are the epitome of tracking and stealing/selling information, for little in return.
Mike

(03-30-2020, 07:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Google is your friend. There are diagrams on the net.

Kinda sorta...I remember cutting the cord, getting rid of the end then spending more time than doing anything else trying to figure out if I am supposed to use T568A or 568B.

You'll pull back a little bit of the cover then make the layout of the wires flat.  Look at the color arrangement in the end that you cut off and duplicate that.

Option B:  Instead of wiring an end, just direct wire a wall plate then use a short wire from the wall plate to whatever  you are trying to hook up.  Then you don't need to wire an end on.  Just get the right kind of wall plate for that.

1 more note if you don't already have the wire:  get CAT6 instead of CAT5.  Just because there may be things were that will matter in the future.
You have to follow the wiring for the plug. Wire has to match at each end or you have what is called a cross over cable.  Get a Pass through connector for it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-.../302355091 The best solution would be to use a wall Jack and punch it down put in a wall plate. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-E...427940-_-N  The wall plate doesn't have to have a box, because it is low voltage.  Follow the diagram on the package to determine your wiring method. As to the either Cat-5e or 6e get a combo cable if short run with Coax and Fiber. I still have to finish my house, but wireless is getting better all the time. Dan
(03-30-2020, 04:56 PM)Scouter Wrote: I need to pull cat5 from the basement to the living room, problem is that the only accessible point in the living room is above a heating vent. Not a problem from that point since I can give more than enough room to not worry about heat. The problem is that the cable has to come up through the floor, then make a right turn through a stud. Concern is with the plastic head, don't want to screw that up. I have stranded wire right now making the run, any suggestions for a good way to connect the two to pull them through the holes (1" holes, the hole in the stud is as a 60-deg angle, so it's not really a right angle).

Cut the terminal off and pull the wire. Then use a regular terminal plate and connector. Just follow the color codes on the connector.