acme tools
  • Acme sent me a door flyer this morning 9:04 I was interested in the hitachi vaccuum, 9:15 i go on their site not available, don't know when their going to be available, wtf don't send a flyer if your out of stock, OK rant off 
  • HITACHI-RP350YDH
Or I guess they had one and it sold in 5 minutes
my bad I guess.
I just read this review which says the Hitachi is a clone of the metabo asr 35 acp. Review here. Acme does carry this model for 549. Not sure what the sale price on the Hitachi was
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
I've bought from them in the past and probably will never again.  Not because they're not a good company or had any specific issues with what I ordered.

It was probably a little over a year ago ... someone hacked their website and got access to my account data.  I don't save MY credit card information to any website,  but they had my personal information.  One evening, I started to get a metric a$$-ton to spam e-mail into my inbox for me to confirm my subscriptions to literally hundreds of online newsletters.  Many were from foreign countries.  They were coming in one after the other almost faster than I could delete them.

As I was doing this (which ended up going on for weeks afterward), I noticed an e-mail from Acme Tools confirming a purchase.  When I signed into my account, I noticed someone used my account profile with my name, saved a credit card from someone else who lives out near Pittsburgh, and changed my shipping address to a suburb from near where I grew up north of Philadelphia.  They ordered nearly $1500 worth of track saws.

I immediately changed all my passwords, contacted Acme (this happened on a Saturday evening), and continued to recover from the constant flow of spam.  Luckily Acme stopped the order and nothing was actually lost financially and the spam e-mails finally dropped off, but I did add them to my list of companies not to do business with again due to lack of security for online purchases.  Other companies I have encountered a low level of cyber security with include Wal-Mart as well as various online college bookstores I had to use when I was in graduate school.  I had a fraudulent purchase on my card within a day or two after buying from these places.
(04-21-2020, 04:35 PM)alanealane Wrote: I just read this review which says the Hitachi is a clone of the metabo asr 35 acp. Review here. Acme does carry this model for 549. Not sure what the sale price on the Hitachi was

According to a sales associate at Lowes, Metabo purchased Hitachi, and all tools sold by Lowes will now be labeled Metabo.

Now, is this just another purchase of a name, or is it also he company? I don't know about today, but years ago, Metabo was a top line.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-22-2020, 04:22 AM)Tony Z Wrote: According to a sales associate at Lowes, Metabo purchased Hitachi, and all tools sold by Lowes will now be labeled Metabo.

Now, is this just another purchase of a name, or is it also he company?  I don't know about today, but years ago, Metabo was a top line.

That's actually backwards, Hitachi purchased Metabo, and then renamed some of their products with the Metabo name.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-22-2020, 05:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That's actually backwards, Hitachi purchased Metabo, and then renamed some of their products with the Metabo name.

Thanks for the clarification Fred-I was relaying was a borg clerk told me! In any case, both Hitachi and Metabo have been decent tools, just hope they remain so!
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-23-2020, 09:42 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks for the clarification Fred-I was relaying was a borg clerk told me! In any case, both Hitachi and Metabo have been decent tools, just hope they remain so!

I thought Metabo was equivalent to Fein & Festool as far as quality. I'd also read that Metabo bought Hitachi's power tool line, or at least part of it.
Been woodworking for almost 50 years and I still love it but I would stop woodworking before I bought anything from Acme Tool. Had some repair work done and I took a bath. I am not surprised at Wing nuts post.

Tom
(04-24-2020, 06:39 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Been woodworking for almost 50 years and I still love it but I would stop woodworking before I bought anything from Acme Tool. Had some repair work done and I took a bath. I am not surprised at Wing nuts post.

Tom

Acme was a superb vendor way back in the day (80s, and at one time, wasn't it part of Seven Corners?). Then I believe it became an Amazon dealer, but if I remember correctly, that didn't work so well, and it went back to being independent. I purchase a number of tools from them, great price and delivery, however, never used them for repair work. I have at least 50 years in the hobby, with the first twenty in the profession.

Many of the power tools (not stationary) I bought way back when, are still going strong.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony Z: ACE Seven Corners hardware in St. Paul, now that is a company I have not heard mentioned in a while!

Great company and as a friend once said "If Seven Corners does not  have it, it's not made." Purchased a few things from them in the 1980's. Sometimes shipping was included in the then good prices. I recall the full pages ads in Fine Woodworking and other magazines as well as the catalogue. Spent many an evening going through the catalogue and spending imaginary money.

Closed in what the early-mid 1990's?? I cannot believe that it has been that long.