Wooden Nails
My kid, who keeps up with stuff like this, just sent me this link on compressed Beechwood nails that can be shot into wood with a nail gun without pre-drilling.  Supposedly they hold without gluing by fusing the lignin.
I suspect the gun will be rather expensive.  FYI

https://www.core77.com/posts/98704/Faste...from_title
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
That's doggone amazing!
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
That is amazing.  One thing though is kind of like Sawstop, if you want to use their product you have to use their special tool.
I wonder if there's some upper limit on the hardness of the wood that it can be used in?
Apparently this is a press release.  A google search failed to find any user reviews.  Interesting though.  I do wonder if moisture absorption will be an issue with the nails. 

Biscuits for your biscuit joiner have to be kept in airtight containers to keep them from absorbing moisture and expanding. 

It would not affect the nails themselves, but might affect their ability to cycle through the nail gun. 

Interesting.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Interesting.

Throw away your dowel drilling jig.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Not sure that would work well on hardwoods like maple and many of the exotics. More timber framing type stuff. Be intyeresting to see shear strength data.
(05-12-2020, 04:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Interesting.

Throw away your dowel drilling jig.

I use my doweling jig mostly for sheet goods.  I doubt it will work well with 3/4" melamine covered particle board, or through 3/4" plywood.  Even if it could penetrate the flat surfaces, it would blow apart the board if driven into the edges. 

I'll hold onto my doweling jig for a little longer.
(05-13-2020, 10:50 AM)Cooler Wrote: I use my doweling jig mostly for sheet goods.  I doubt it will work well with 3/4" melamine covered particle board, or through 3/4" plywood.  Even if it could penetrate the flat surfaces, it would blow apart the board if driven into the edges. 

I'll hold onto my doweling jig for a little longer.

I use biscuits on my sheet stock.
Never owned a doweling jig. I have a set of marking points that I use if I use a dowel, which is seldom.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-13-2020, 11:10 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I use biscuits on my sheet stock.
Never owned a doweling jig. I have a set of marking points that I use if I use a dowel, which is seldom.

I have a biscuit joiner and two types of dowel jigs. I also have a Beadlock floating tenon jig, a mortising machine and a tenon jig for my saw.  I pick and choose according to the application. 

Biscuits are fast and good for medium strength joints though I have largely replaced it with pocket hole screws. 

But biscuits are not nearly as strong as dowels, especially for racking strength with sheet goods. 

Floating tenons and tenons are stronger for wider pieces that need to be joined (3½" or wider).

I also have marking points and they are better for some applications than using a doweling jig.
(05-11-2020, 05:31 PM)gMike Wrote: My kid, who keeps up with stuff like this, just sent me this link on compressed Beechwood nails that can be shot into wood with a nail gun without pre-drilling.  Supposedly they hold without gluing by fusing the lignin.
I suspect the gun will be rather expensive.  FYI

https://www.core77.com/posts/98704/Faste...from_title

Hmm, seems to be related to or a take off on the Forgewood process developed in 1947 for making higher strength wooden arrows.

http://forgewood.com/
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous