considering remodel - where to begin?
(06-02-2020, 07:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: Both images look like remodels to me.  It looks like a second floor was initially added to part of the house and then the second floor was added to the rest of the house.  

The top is as it was originally built.  The bottom house used to look like the top (sans the extra garage space) but had the addition added on the 2nd floor above the garage.

Great comments from all, keep 'em coming!
Some people here are very concerned with how the outside looks.. which is fine, I am not putting them down.

However, the vast majority of home owners and buyers really only care about how much usable space there is inside.
My own house is a typical box design, pretty much every house built after 1990 that was not custom designed looks that way.

So, OP, don't worry too much about how the outside looks. A "Box" is the most efficient and cost efficient use of space.
I would worry more about how you want the inside of your new master bedroom to be.

I mean, guys, let's face it, unless I completely tear my own house down and rebuild, it will never look as charming as a house from the 1940s or earlier. That's just reality now. It doesn't bother me, and it won't bother buyers when I put it up for sale.
(06-02-2020, 10:22 AM)paul2004 Wrote: Some people here are very concerned with how the outside looks.. which is fine, I am not putting them down.

However, the vast majority of home owners and buyers really only care about how much usable space there is inside.
My own house is a typical box design, pretty much every house built after 1990 that was not custom designed looks that way.

So, OP, don't worry too much about how the outside looks. A "Box" is the most efficient  and cost efficient use of space.
I would worry more about how you want the inside of your new master bedroom to be.

I mean, guys, let's face it, unless I completely tear my own house down and rebuild, it will never look as charming as a house from the 1940s or earlier.  That's just reality now. It doesn't bother me, and it won't bother buyers when I put it up for sale.

For this neighborhood, keeping it a simple box is what makes most sense.  "in the future" when I move to a new house, I will prefer to find something prettier and moreinteresting looking. This is effectively a generic colonial style trac house in which we want another bedroom.
(06-02-2020, 11:27 AM)mound Wrote: For this neighborhood, keeping it a simple box is what makes most sense.  "in the future" when I move to a new house, I will prefer to find something prettier and moreinteresting looking. This is effectively a generic colonial style trac house in which we want another bedroom.

Yep, that's what I thought you were thinking about. That's why I wanted to lend a little support. Good luck with your remodel.
(06-01-2020, 10:19 AM)mound Wrote: Hi all,

I have a two-story colonial house where the "left half" is two-stories plus a basement, and the right half is a 2-car garage in front with a family room behind, it all on a slab (no 2nd story above the garage or family room just the attic)

My wife and I are beginning the process of thinking through just what it would take to build an addition above the family room and garage, essentially making the whole house 2-stories. Considerations as to "move or remodel" are a different conversation. 

I've never dealt with contractors, architects, builders etc and don't really know where to begin with the whole process of finding the right people and not getting screwed in the process. 

Looking to hear your thoughts, discussion, horror stories, questions to ask, things to think about, process to follow etc.. etc from those of you who have had successes and failures with remodeling your homes in the past. 

thanks!
Most decent contractors will have an architect they use. It will be cheaper that way but not necessarily the best way. Since this will impact the front of your home, I'd start with a local architect and then put the drawings out to bid and vet the contractors.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

We have a two story house that was formally a one story ranch. 20 years ago, we had our backyard neighbor construct the second floor, and he was the general contractor. We did have an architect, and she was very helpful. She suggested a couple small ideas that really made the whole project work. Contractor has a good eye for details and is a go getter. Chose to do it in January (Wisconsin), so they would rather deal with snow than rain. Tore off old roof on Monday, had "tar paper" on new roof on Friday. We (wife and I) lived in the basement. We are happy with the finished product.

You really have to have a good general contractor.
(06-02-2020, 11:27 AM)mound Wrote: For this neighborhood, keeping it a simple box is what makes most sense.  "in the future" when I move to a new house, I will prefer to find something prettier and moreinteresting looking. This is effectively a generic colonial style trac house in which we want another bedroom.

You can't leave "move" off the table.

If that is anytime soon and you plan to stay in the area, just do it now. You will very likely be money ahead and you won't have the construction hassle.

If you would move out of the area, weight the cost of the room vs the length of time you would enjoy it. If you really would enjoy it, and a local move is out of the question, do it sooner than later though so you enjoy it for a longer time.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(06-04-2020, 12:53 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You can't leave "move" off the table.  

If that is anytime soon and you plan to stay in the area, just do it now.  You will very likely be money ahead and you won't have the construction hassle.  

If you would move out of the area, weight the cost of the room vs the length of time you would enjoy it.   If you really would enjoy it, and a local move is out of the question,  do it sooner than later though so you enjoy it for a longer time.

I totally agree with that.  We did ours 20 years ago and it cost around $100,000.00 at the time.  It was a lot of money at the time and it wouldn't have been cost effective, but we liked the neighborhood, and lot so we went for it.  I am sure now we would do ok if we sold.  Both of us said we were leaving "toes up".  We also did a lot to the existing house, such as improved insulation, new windows, siding, furnace, water heater, but there also was a lot of sweat equity that a lot of people wouldn't or couldn't do.  Not bragging, just stating a fact.
(06-04-2020, 12:53 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You can't leave "move" off the table.  

+1

I've moved walls, redone every bathroom, enlarged 2 of them, put in a new and larger kitchen, New staircase, new wood floors and new trim work. Even doing all the work myself, I won't recover the cost it when we sell the place. The house will be easier to sell and it will get more than without the updates but won't get nearly what we put into it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay