Sound Levels in the Shop
Just for kicks, I downloaded a sound level app for my iphone (Decibel X Sound Level Meter). I was prompted to do this after repeated warnings from my son, an Acoustical Engineer. Checked a number of machines, and the one that wins the prize is the SCM Minimax in planer mode: 95 dbC.  A close second was the DeWalt 13" planer. These levels were at machine idle: no work being done.  When I get a chance I will check to see what the levels are when in actual use.

Just to put this level in perspective, here is link to "Comparative Examples of Noise Levels"

IAC Sound Level Chart

Remember: use hearing protection,  or get used to saying "Huh?" a lot
Smile

I have two pair of those,  one at each end of the shop,  always put them on when running machinery.
I have a few pair of those. Well worth the $15 or so they cost.

On a side note I bought a sound meter about a year ago to see what the dB was in my 500 sqft shop (to get an idea what it sounded like outside to the neighbors). I was shocked to see it maxed out at maybe 78....and generally would be around the low/mid 70's. Thats with a 3hp cyclone and basically stationary tools. Outside 15 feet away it was minimal (actually the freeway that is 3-4 blocks away produces more noise...I tested late at night and the middle of the day)

It was interesting. 

Needless to say I always wear my earmuffs. Even started wearing them when I cut the grass cause I got one of the 3M radio ones.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I have a sound level meter (I will have to look for it, I have not used it in years) and I will check my table saw and my dust collection, but I am fairly certain that my dust collection is the loudest item in my shop.  Luckily it is off in the corner so it does not seem that loud.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I keep a pair hanging on the handle of the lawnmower: I find mowing the lawn is less of a chore when the process is a little quieter.

(06-16-2020, 06:35 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I have two pair of those,  one at each end of the shop,  always put them on when running machinery.
Yes, sound levels drop dramatically as a function of distance from the source.

(06-16-2020, 08:21 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I have a few pair of those. Well worth the $15 or so they cost.

On a side note I bought a sound meter about a year ago to see what the dB was in my 500 sqft shop (to get an idea what it sounded like outside to the neighbors). I was shocked to see it maxed out at maybe 78....and generally would be around the low/mid 70's. Thats with a 3hp cyclone and basically stationary tools. Outside 15 feet away it was minimal (actually the freeway that is 3-4 blocks away produces more noise...I tested late at night and the middle of the day)

It was interesting. 

Needless to say I always wear my earmuffs. Even started wearing them when I cut the grass cause I got one of the 3M radio ones.
My 3hp oneida DC measured 85 dbC: significantly lower than the Jointer/Planer.

(06-17-2020, 07:30 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have a sound level meter (I will have to look for it, I have not used it in years) and I will check my table saw and my dust collection, but I am fairly certain that my dust collection is the loudest item in my shop.  Luckily it is off in the corner so it does not seem that loud.
I am sad to say due to the bombing I have to wear hearing aids and when I use any of it I just turn them off.  However, when draining the air compressor I do put on the ear muffs.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I know folks have to worry about noise levels when they may annoy family members or neighbors. Beyond that it is a non-issue for me. I'm big on safety and don't operate machines without proper PPE. I was a rocker from Jr. High though College and learned to protect my hearing before I knew how enjoyable woodworking is. Have your safety gear in the shop, readily available, and use it. The cost of an extra pair of headphones or two, an extra respirator or a task light is chump change compared to what lacking them may get you.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

In the past, I have done the sound level testing in my shop as well and the Grizzly Cyclone is the loudest of any of my machinery by far. I measured waist high from about 4-5ft away from all my machinery and the cyclone was around 80dB... everything else was 70dB or lower. That includes 80g, 2-stage compressor, 8" jointer, 20" planer, Unisaw, Bandsaws, etc. All of my measurements were taken with the motors running without any wood being fed so, that would certainly increase the jointer, planer and saw readings.

I have several decent pairs of ear muffs for hearing protection. I purchased a 3M WorkTunes Bluetooth set that are awesome. I love being able to listen to music, etc. as I work. Like others I wear them when I mow the lawn as well. LOL

BTW I have always checked with the closest neighbors and they say that they never hear anything from my shop unless they are out in their backyard. Even then they report that it isn't bothersome to having normal conversations or doing their daily stuff.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP