Where does your lumber come from?
It's amazing such a beautiful piece of wood came out of that ugly looking log, Ian.  But I guess Acacia is somewhat like Ipe' and other woods that don't rot.  

How did you cut it that wide with your Swing mill?  Two pass cutting?  

John
(06-24-2020, 07:36 PM)jteneyck Wrote: How did you cut it that wide with your Swing mill?  Two pass cutting?  

John

The trick is to saw just over 1/2 way though the log, then flip it over and saw from the other side. You can only make one live edge per log, but they can be pretty big.
jteneyck Wrote:THanks for posting that. I have never seen a mill quite like that, with two blades running together. Sort of like a predecessor of the Peterson Swing Mill. Looks like a good set up for making construction lumber and beams.

John

A lot of 2x4s.
Wink on up to 2x12s for roof trusses.

I think the biggest thing we cut was a 14” square beam for the top of a shed door frame.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
My stuff comes either from people here by way of scrap or a local farmer who has been milling wood for 45 years and gives us some scrap which is not really scrap to a turner just others will not buy it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Some older pics of our mill....

(06-25-2020, 11:51 AM)EdL Wrote: Some older pics of our mill....

That looks like a really nice mill.  I had never heard of Dyna Tech until your post.  Are they still in business?  

I'm super jealous of that Bobcat.  That would make handling logs SOOOOOOO much easier.  

John
I'm whittling down that log.  21" wide cuts at the moment, and then I'll flip it one more time when I get to the centerline.  

[Image: ACtC-3fD7lkp8iIc-rzcv7cimz0PNHZpeG6fLQg3...authuser=0]

John
Thankfully Dyna no longer makes mills, some stuff on it is just a little to backwoods Amish.

The Bobcat & grapple make life easier and safer. Sadly we load from the wrong side of the mill. I'm loading over the stops instead of into them.
I can set the log on and release the grapple without worry of the log rolling, using pallet forks was scary.

Ed
You all make this look fun. And you get some great wood. Wonder If I can sell this idea to LOML?

Like Arlin, I get most of my lumber from scrap sources, although, all of my projects have a really scrappy feel.
My lumber comes from someone else's sawmill. Lot easier and less taxing on my body.

If I was younger, had a mill and land with mature trees I would probably do what you are doing but alas I am an urban boy.

Nice wood and thanks for pics.