Cyclones
Grizzly didn't rip-off Pentz, Grizzly and Pentz both ripped-off Dinaldson Torit.
It would be pretty funny if Oneida claimed Grizzly ripped them off.  They had a crummy design for years. I vaguely remembering Grizzly taking Pence's ideas and then Oneida following suit, but I'm not sure it really matters.  None of it is patented. 

I should add a neutral vane to my Oneida, although Bill Pence says it will increase the current, which might not be a great idea on mine since the motor is undersized.
(06-27-2020, 07:42 AM)fptahoe Wrote: Any opinions on the Clear Vue Cyclone - 5 hp and less money than Oneida?  Thanks.

An older vet friend of mine has the Clear Vue and that thing will suck a wart of a witches nose.  If not careful it will suck up small wooden items like bowls, eggs, and vases that are 10" and less tall and less then 4".

I seen him turn a hard maple egg and when parting it off it was sucked up into the duct.  I have the grizzly 3hp and at 2400cfm it is not even half the suction as the clear vue tho it does have quite a bit.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-28-2020, 09:39 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: An older vet friend of mine has the Clear Vue and that thing will suck a wart of a witches nose.  If not careful it will suck up small wooden items like bowls, eggs, and vases that are 10" and less tall and less then 4".

I seen him turn a hard maple egg and when parting it off it was sucked up into the duct.  I have the grizzly 3hp and at 2400cfm it is not even half the suction as the clear vue tho it does have quite a bit.

Thanks Arlin.  I really don't have any question that it will have enough suction.  My (hobby) shop is in my basement and I need to get every spec of chips, dust, powder, everything, otherwise LOML is not happy.  My only hesitation on the 5 hp Clear Vue is it maybe very loud in my basement which is directly under the kitchen, which as most households always has a fair amount of activity.  Someone in the thread here even mentioned that it is loud.  When I compare it to the Oneida, it seems like the Oneida equipment is overpriced (and it has larger footprint, too).  I have been skeptical of Grizzly quality in the past, but it seems as though many Woodnetters are happy with their Grizzly equipment.  I just need to make a decision and go with it.  

Also, interesting comments about Laguna in this thread (I watched the video).  I have the Laguna 14" 3 HP SUV bandsaw i bought a few years ago.  I am about ready to sell it.  The throatplate is nearly impossible to get on and off, it is a pain to adjust the guards, and no matter how much I tension the blade (or not), it drifts all over the place when I try to resaw, even 4" or 5" inch boards.
I noticed the air in the hose to the bin is spinning pretty fast on my cyclone.  Is there a well accepted way to trip that up?  Seems like it isn't a great thing to have happen
(06-29-2020, 12:30 PM)EricU Wrote: I noticed the air in the hose to the bin is spinning pretty fast on my cyclone.  Is there a well accepted way to trip that up?  Seems like it isn't a great thing to have happen

You could do like I did, and have the blower rotate in the opposite direction that the cyclonic action happens due to the inlet.

Of course, that was a mistake on my part, as I configured it for keeping the suction inlet close to the wall without thinking that air flow may be reduced with the air having to reverse rotation at the blower.  But there's nothing I'm willing to do about it now, as it would take cracking open the motor, finding the start winding ends, and swapping them.  Then turning the housing over so the exhaust is on the other side.  And maybe replacing the impeller, though to be honest, it would probably work better running in the other direction. 

It works fine, so unless and until I get a bigger blower unit, it's staying that way.  
Yes
Laugh
Big Grin
Cool

Oh, and I suspect that's how it's supposed to work, keeping the dust moving along the perimeter so the air can transition to the center outlet up to the blower after leaving the dust behind.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-28-2020, 07:57 PM)fptahoe Wrote: My only hesitation on the 5 hp Clear Vue is it maybe very loud in my basement which is directly under the kitchen, which as most households always has a fair amount of activity.  Someone in the thread here even mentioned that it is loud.  When I compare it to the Oneida, it seems like the Oneida equipment is overpriced (and it has larger footprint, too).  I have been skeptical of Grizzly quality in the past, but it seems as though many Woodnetters are happy with their Grizzly equipment.  I just need to make a decision and go with it.  

I installed a ClearVue CV 1800 in my basement shop ten years ago. My shop is directly beneath our family/TV room. Yes, it WAS very loud - so loud I couldn't work in the same room with it, and my wife was not happy about the noise upstairs. I built a tiny closet around the unit, insulated it with fiberglass insulation and ducted the filtered air back into the shop through sound baffled openings around the top of the closet. I did a little online research about sound baffling and designed and built the baffles myself. It worked like a charm. I can still hear it running, but it doesn't scream like a banshee now, and my wife hasn't complained once since I enclosed it. I have been very happy with the unit - no complaints at all. It's hooked up to my table saw, router table, drill press, band saw, radial arm saw and my 12" jointer plainer. It captures virtually all the chips and fine dust. Before I installed the unit, I would get terrible sinus headaches from breathing the fine dust when I worked with the machines - the reason I installed the unit in the first place. I haven't had a headache since the ClearVue arrived. It's a wonderful machine.
(06-27-2020, 07:42 AM)fptahoe Wrote: Any opinions on the Clear Vue Cyclone - 5 hp and less money than Oneida?  Thanks.

I have a clear vue, it's been fantastic..
Another nice benefit is that it's already set up to use 6" sewer and drain pipe which 
saves you money on ductwork.

Edit: another advantage of the clearvue is you can see through it, so no worries about overflowing the
barrel. You can see when the barrel is full.

Make sure you get the "self cleaning" blast gates like this. https://ideaboardz.com/for/Cosmos%20Back...20/3258222
(06-29-2020, 12:30 PM)EricU Wrote: I noticed the air in the hose to the bin is spinning pretty fast on my cyclone.  Is there a well accepted way to trip that up?  Seems like it isn't a great thing to have happen

That is the "cyclonic action" that separates the dust/chips and allows them to fall into the bin...it's a good thing. A lot of the Pentz dimensions are designed to increase this action (tight body diameter, etc.).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-28-2020, 09:38 AM)EricU Wrote: It would be pretty funny if Oneida claimed Grizzly ripped them off.  They had a crummy design for years. I vaguely remembering Grizzly taking Pence's ideas and then Oneida following suit, but I'm not sure it really matters.  None of it is patented. 

I should add a neutral vane to my Oneida, although Bill Pence says it will increase the current, which might not be a great idea on mine since the motor is undersized.

Not certain but i think ClearVue pays Pentz something for each cyclone sold. ClearVue was not legally required to pay anything - there was/is not licensing arrangement but they felt like doing the right thing.  Pentz may have provided some design advice, dunno.