Help: Lathe (What and Where to buy?)
Before you spend lots of cash on tools and a grinder, how much time have you spent turning?    The reason I ask is that like other hobbies, our interests evolve and what we start out thinking many times changes with experience.  I'm on my third and hopefully last lathe a Nova DVR.

Before the Nova, I started with a Jet Mini and then moved on to a full size Delta that had been a school machine in a previous life.  Most of my turning was with the old Delta and I found out lathes are one tool that have benefited greatly from new technology.  The old delta had variable speed, but no reverse and only a 12" swing. 

My current interest is turning bowls and other larger objects, though I did a bunch of pens and some screwdrivers this last Winter as gifts.   The Nova has a variable speed head and can slide up and down the ways and pivot to any angle.  Perfect for getting the best angle on the inside or outside of a bowl.  Not cheap by any means, but I managed to get it for 500 off when they brought them out several years ago.  If you can find used, that is always a good way to go, then you can move up if your needs change.  Before I got the Nova, I also looked at some of the Grizzly lathes, this one in particular: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...athe/G0838  Its more than your budget, but it also has greater capabilities than any mini or midi lathe.

As for tools, I started out with a set of HSS chisels along with a slow speed grinder and that same wolverine jig you are looking at.  Truthfully I never got all that good with sharpening or using those chisels.  I did take a couple of classes at the local woodcraft a while ago and picked up some techniques but largely its been mostly self teaching and experimentation.  And while this may seem like heresy,  I do quite a bit of my work using carbide tipped scrapers that don't need sharpening at all.  Those tools came from a guy down in NC that machines the shafts and you add your own handles.  https://www.ncwoodturningtools.com/shop

For sure you can spend lots of money on the machine and all the accessories.  But I would recommend going slow and figuring out what you like and what works before you spend your cash on stuff everybody else recommends.
I have a Jet 1014 with bed extension.  I like the setup and it will do what you list as the capabilities you desire.  I bought the lathe about 15 years ago, so I can't talk to today's prices.

What I would advise is this:

Get a lathe with electronically controlled variable speed.  My lathe doesn't have that; I sure wish it did.

I wish my lathe had the indexing feature.  I think it came out on my model lathe about six months after I bought mine. 

If you go with a smaller lathe like mine, buck up for the extension right up front.  You'll be glad for that.  

I bought a basic Steel-X 8 piece tool set.  You could easily spend 1/3rd of your budget on just a few high-end tools.  For the type of turning you listed, I would go easy on the high end tools at this point.  As mentioned earlier, learning to sharpen those tools is crucial.  I use my Jet slow speed wet grinder.  It's not fast, but it does work.
Have you turned before? the accessories chisles, grinder, wolverine jig, chucks, can easily cost more then the lathe, its a slippery slope your going down
If you haven't turned take a class or 2
So far there has been no mention of stands for the lathe or the grinder. Just noting.

My first electronic variable-speed and reversible lathe was a classroom lathe at the local Woodcraft. It might be worth asking your local WCs if they are going to be rotating out their classroom lathes in the near future.

My first lathe was a mini Jet that I got from Craigslist and I got the bed extension and stand from a fellow WNer.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I've done just a little bit of turning. But what they say is true: the late itself is the cheap part! It's all the accessories that will get you.

I started out turning now and then on a friend's lathe, and I really enjoyed it. I eventually salvaged an old, entry-level lathe that turned out to have some major mechanical flaws (no time to go into all that), but before I realized that I had bought a few Benjamin's Best turning tools. As far as I can tell, they were pretty decent gouges. I got ride of the faulty lathe but kept the turning tools, because I intend to get a better lathe eventually. You don't need many tools to start out with. You are going to want a big roughing gouge (like 2" or 3", not the tiny little 1" thing that they throw into those "beginner" sets), a couple different spindle gauges, and a parting tool. You might also want a skew to start with. You can do a lot with just those 4-5 tools, and they will individually be cheaper than a big set. Buy additional ones as you need them.

You do want a grinder of some kind. Doesn't have to be slow-speed, but if you don't have a grinder yet, then now is the time to get one. If you have a regular grinder, you can just get a cool-running wheel for it, like a blue or white Norton wheel. Those wheels are great all-purpose sharpening wheels anyway, so you don't technically have to include them in your "lathe budget."
Wink Or you can spend the cash for a slow-speed grinder and (again) use it to sharpen everything you've got. I find the slow-speed grinders way too slow for my liking, but I'm used to 1750 rpms now.

I'm almost ready to get into the lathe market and start turning again. When I do, I'll start on the local Craig's List and Facebook Market and see what comes up. Should be able to get a good, used lathe for about half the price of a new one if I'm willing to wait for the right one to come along. I'm going full-sized, not midi, and something with variable speed is a must. I figure I'll get the best lathe I can up-front so I don't have to go through the hassle of trading up eventually. But then I know I'll stick with it because I've done enough turning to know that it's something I enjoy. For you, it might make more sense to buy the cheaper, smaller lathe now and plan to sell it and upgrade a few years down the line if you really need to. A midi lathe might be just the thing for you.

While you can do a lot of turning between centers, you should plan to buy a good 4-jaw chuck pretty soon. But you don't absolutely have to have it immediately. And while the stock stands for new lathes are usually pretty good, that's also something that you can build yourself out of wood. Lots of pictures of shop-made lathes stands online--and you can customize it with built-in tool storage, wheels, etc.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I always recommend buying a bench grinder locally even if doesn’t come with friable Aluminum Oxide wheels. Grinders can be hit or miss right out of the box so want option of easy return and or refund if get a bad one. Saves on shipping back & restocking fees, so before buy check online for what those cost.

This grinder was the darling of woodturning community for years especially if bought on sale. Think same grinder under different brand name might be cheaper online but watch out for return, refund, and restocking fees.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon...0676000d03

Plus one on Wolverine Sharpening System:
Basic System:
https://www.packardwoodworks.com/142611.html

Eventually going to want to buy optional Vari grind attachment
https://www.packardwoodworks.com/142614.html

If have the money buy Intermediate System:
https://www.packardwoodworks.com/142629.html
Bill
Reason sharpening systems like Wolverine good thing; repeatability at bench grinder every time you sharpen your tools. Speeds up learning curve and provide consistency every time!
Bill
I'll add my two cents.  Do NOT get in a hurry, like I did!!!  I wish I had attended some club meetings first.  I clearly have spent $1000 to $1500 on "good stuff" that I do not need.  I know Houston has a couple of clubs, check them out.  You will be surprised just how helpful woodturners are.  It is a shame the pandemic has shut down most club meetings.  But still find a club, (Woodcraft and Rockler will have info on the clubs) call someone in the club, and they will direct you to "mentors".

Good luck,
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Ever thought about a used ShopSmith? Just a thought.
Oz
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
(07-15-2020, 02:18 PM)Wildwood Wrote: For less that or right at $1500 new you are talking midi lathe!

Delta 46-460 VS 12 ½” X21” with optional bed extension can run $600 for lath and $150 for bed extension.

(07-15-2020, 02:45 PM)jcredding Wrote: For sharpening, I'm a fan of the Oneway Woverine grinding jig.  You'll want an 8" slow speed grinder if you don't already have one.

I had the Delta 46 460 and loved it and I have to say the Oneway grinding Jig is great to.

If you are close to Council Bluffs Iowa I would be most happy to help you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.