Visit from the plumbing gods
I already put a bunch of items in my Home Depot online cart to fix a flex drain in the new house and was feeling pretty good about myself, but on the final walkthrough last night, I realized the inspector and I missed something.

We knew the basement shower had no shower head or faucet handle installed. The homeowner was there during the inspection and said she hadn't had time to do it after she had the shower resurfaced--5 months ago because she's been living in CO for some COVID thing. All the parts were sitting in a bag on the floor over the drain. We didn't bother to move the bag. Dopes.

This is what I found yesterday. It doesn't look wrong but the grate I found in the bag which is probably from this shower has no obvious way to be secured to the drain. Looking online I'm seeing slip-on covers that have prongs to slide into the 2" pipe, but the overall size of the strainer is around 3", but I need 4 1/4".

Firstly, is there anything amiss with this drain other than the caulking? Secondly, I can't find the right strainer for this setup. The larger slip-on strainers seem to hold onto the outside of the pipe or some other feature in the drain, but I'm not seeing that here.

Thanks
Paul

Attached Files Image(s)

https://www.amazon.com/Danco-89088-Showe...lp_pl_dp_3

This should work. Good luck
(07-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Flat Lander Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Danco-89088-Showe...lp_pl_dp_3

Thanks but I don't think it will work.  The prongs are spaced further apart than 2" so I think it's designed to go around the pipe and not inside the pipe.

I'll keep looking
(07-20-2020, 06:54 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: I already put a bunch of items in my Home Depot online cart to fix a flex drain in the new house and was feeling pretty good about myself, but on the final walkthrough last night, I realized the inspector and I missed something.

We knew the basement shower had no shower head or faucet handle installed.  The homeowner was there during the inspection and said she hadn't had time to do it after she had the shower resurfaced--5 months ago because she's been living in CO for some COVID thing.  All the parts were sitting in a bag on the floor over the drain.  We didn't bother to move the bag.  Dopes.

This is what I found yesterday.  It doesn't look wrong but the grate I found in the bag which is probably from this shower has no obvious way to be secured to the drain.  Looking online I'm seeing slip-on covers that have prongs to slide into the 2" pipe, but the overall size of the strainer is around 3", but I need 4 1/4".

Firstly, is there anything amiss with this drain other than the caulking?  Secondly, I can't find the right strainer for this setup.  The larger slip-on strainers seem to hold onto the outside of the pipe or some other feature in the drain, but I'm not seeing that here.

Thanks
Paul

That does not look right at all.  Shouldn't the drain pipe be secured to the shower drain, i.e. threaded onto it? It looks like that PVC pipe is just pushed right through the shower drain and then only partially caulked in to make sure the water doesn't seep around the pipe.  Without a threaded connection to the shower drain, it looks like some of the water will just flow around the pipe.  If this is in the basement, it's probably no big deal, but if this were on an upper floor, you'd get leaks below that'll ruin your day.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(07-20-2020, 06:54 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: I already put a bunch of items in my Home Depot online cart to fix a flex drain in the new house and was feeling pretty good about myself, but on the final walkthrough last night, I realized the inspector and I missed something.

We knew the basement shower had no shower head or faucet handle installed.  The homeowner was there during the inspection and said she hadn't had time to do it after she had the shower resurfaced--5 months ago because she's been living in CO for some COVID thing.  All the parts were sitting in a bag on the floor over the drain.  We didn't bother to move the bag.  Dopes.

This is what I found yesterday.  It doesn't look wrong but the grate I found in the bag which is probably from this shower has no obvious way to be secured to the drain.  Looking online I'm seeing slip-on covers that have prongs to slide into the 2" pipe, but the overall size of the strainer is around 3", but I need 4 1/4".

Firstly, is there anything amiss with this drain other than the caulking?  Secondly, I can't find the right strainer for this setup.  The larger slip-on strainers seem to hold onto the outside of the pipe or some other feature in the drain, but I'm not seeing that here.

Thanks
Paul

I am trying to follow you on this but I can't figure out what size pipe I am looking at in the picture based on the info provided.  I have 5 showers installed where the drain is inserted in the pipe and compressed into place.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-22-2020, 06:14 AM)pprobus Wrote: That does not look right at all.  Shouldn't the drain pipe be secured to the shower drain, i.e. threaded onto it? It looks like that PVC pipe is just pushed right through the shower drain and then only partially caulked in to make sure the water doesn't seep around the pipe.  Without a threaded connection to the shower drain, it looks like some of the water will just flow around the pipe.  If this is in the basement, it's probably no big deal, but if this were on an upper floor, you'd get leaks below that'll ruin your day.

Sorry to say this but you're missing a shower drain. What you have is the 2" PVC riser from (hopefully) a trap roughed-in exactly where it should be. This is when I would install the shower (or shower base) with the shower drain already installed when it's on a concrete floor. If there's access, the trap and riser would be installed after the shower with shower drain already installed. The shower drain seals to the bottom of the shower similar to a sink by compressing a rubber gasket with a large nut. If there's access to the bottom, I would remove the trap and riser by cutting the horizontal pipe, install the shower drain, and re-install the the trap with a Fernco coupling or install new. If there's no access I might try epoxy to glue and seal a shower drain on the top side while solvent welding to the PVC pipe. Then I can use the removable grate that came with it to allow snaking the drain sometime in the future. Good luck! Edit to add that you may find a drain with rubber seals for the pipe if you have no access below.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-4-1-4-i.../100665801

4-1/4 in. Tub and Shower Drain Cover for 3 in. Opening in Brushed Nickel

[/url]

[url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-4-1-4-in-Tub-and-Shower-Drain-Cover-for-3-in-Opening-in-Brushed-Nickel-101663BN/100665801#ratings-and-reviews](36)

Write a Review
Questions & Answers (6)
  • Brass construction makes it durable and corrosion resistant
  • Authentic Moen product that can be relied upon
  • Simple design and nickel finish makes it easy to clean
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-22-2020, 10:55 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Sorry to say this but you're missing a shower drain. 

I wondered that also but I've only installed 1 shower in my time.  I thought maybe this was a different system than what I used.

(07-23-2020, 02:55 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I wondered that also but I've only installed 1 shower in my time.  I thought maybe this was a different system than what I used.

Me, too, and it wasn't too far off from this one.  If it's like the Oatey one I did, there's a compression ring on the bottom of the shower pan that is screwed tight to the brass ring that is on the show side.  The 2" PVC pipe in this case is set a lot higher than the Oatey.  I do see some "teeth" on the ring that indicates it's for some lock ring tool.  The Oatey drain had a metal "key" that you turned with a flat head screwdriver.

Anyway, I dug out some of the caulk and I think I can use the drain cover that Flat Lander posted.
(07-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Flat Lander Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Danco-89088-Showe...lp_pl_dp_3

Good call on this one.  I didn't use the Danco one, but an Oatey one from HD.  Fit just right.

Of course, now that I've got the drain screen installed, got the new faucet trim ring and shower head installed today, I discovered the washer on the cold water shut-off probably needs to be replaced.  Drip, drip, drip.