Nova DVR Question
My FIL recently passed and he was an avid woodworker. I’m cleaning out his shop and need to sell his Nova DVR 3000 but haven’t found any indications of current prices. The lathe is in great shape and has an extra bed extension so 48” from headstock to end. Just looking for an idea of what this might be worth since all the money will go to my MIL - they were both teachers and she lives a frugal life so want to do the best I can for her while being realistic to move it reasonably quickly.

I’m having his entire shop shipped to my home in SoCal, so likely to be selling a lot of stuff from there.

Thanks for any thoughts,

John
My condolences on your loss.

On a quick look, I am not finding recent pricing for a Nova DVR 3000 lathe. If no one else has decent numbers for you, I will try to look again tomorrow night.

Where are your FIL's tools now?

Everything that I have seen here seems to indicate that tool prices are really depressed in CA.

If there is someone you trust geographically close to your MIL (and depending on location), you might get much better prices for the tools where they are and without having to pay to ship them to CA first. I do know that some of the WNers up in handtools have helped with estate sales for widows of woodworkers in the past. Depending on what other tools you are wanting to sell, you might solicit for some help up there. Again, location is important.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
There's been one on our local (northwest IN) Craigslist for the last month, gets reposted a few times a week. With bed extension and on a stand that appears to be patterned on on the one in the manual. Listed for $1,200. My concerns would be the electronics and the motor--both out of production for several years and unique to the machine. For me (no skill set to adapt if something went wrong), it would be a gamble that i'd not be willing to take anywhere near the asking on the one i'm seeing. I will add that i rarely see a wood lathe on CL within 30-40 miles of here, so they do stand out when i see them.

Good luck on the sale.
earl
Thanks for the posts, and certainly agree tool prices seem to be down in CA. My MIL is unfortunately losing her memory and all family / friends have passed so my wife and I are it. I’ll ship to CA with the rest of the shop and see what I can get for her. In the meantime, maybe I’ll play with it.
After seeing the CL ad i mentioned above the night before your post--i'd looked at the manual. Then, during lunch today...i revisited the Teknatool site and found some info on upgrading the controller and main board to the DVR XP versions. Didn't find the XP board available for sale on their web site though. I may have to call them and see what that upgrade would cost--then e-mail the local seller. The comments i found from current and former owners were pretty positive. I'd still be nowhere near the $1,200 asking price--your mileage may vary.

Thanks for asking the question--you have me looking more seriously at this one. Best wishes.
earl
Just missed out on one here in PA this week. They were asking $350.00
I might have missed something since I’m looking at this on my phone but there is no reason to assume the motor or electronics are bad. As long as it’s been stored in a dry place both should be fine.
Frank
Frank--i'm not looking at the OP's, and even the one i'd consider i have no reason to consider that there are issues. But...i have a 4 year old Delta in my basement that needs a control board that is rare as hen's teeth. I know that the DVR 3000 is a different class of machine, but unique enough to make me nervous. Flip side--no belts or bearing and the engineering looks pretty doggone good to me. So my waffling is likely unfounded.
earl
Unless it doesn't work, there's no need to upgrade it to the XP version. It almost never makes economic sense to do that. When I lived in SoCal, I sold my Teknatool lathe (the older version) in one day on CL. But that was maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I upgraded to the XP. One advantage you may have is the 3000's were made in New Zealand vs. China. If you just want to liquidate it, take what you can get. If you can deal with the storage space, wait until the COVID stuff wanes and things get more back to normal.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks all. It does work just fine - I tested it before packing it up. No noise, etc. and I can’t see upgrading it since I’m not keeping it. I’ll put it on CL and see what happens. I’m in no rush and have the storage space.