FWW Gallery Submittal
I didn’t want to get ahead of my skis on this one because sometimes you never know. But a while back I submitted one of my projects to FWW and lo and behold they accepted it for the December/November issue Readers Gallery section. Was originally scheduled for the June/July issue but was delayed.

I believe the Nov/Dec issue is out now. Sideboard; upper RHC of Pg. 76.

https://en.calameo.com/read/00080032616b...&view=book
Well done Don.

I’m on the next page
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I saw both last night when I got my issue in the mail.

Congratulations!  I always look at those pages and wonder if I'll ever be good enough to show a piece there.
Don and Derek,

Congratulations to you both.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-26-2020, 11:54 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Well done Don.

I’m on the next page
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just got that issue last night and noticed you both! Well done!
(09-26-2020, 11:54 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Well done Don.

I’m on the next page
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek - and you also. Two Woodnetters in the same issue - nice.

Your chest of drawers incorporates two of my favorite materials.

The company I used to work for has operations in Perth and I had the chance to visit there a few times. I'm guessing Jarrah is probably a little easier to obtain where you are!
(09-27-2020, 09:13 AM)Don_M Wrote: Thanks Derek - and you also. Two Woodnetters in the same issue - nice.

Your chest of drawers incorporates two of my favorite materials.

The company I used to work for has operations in Perth and I had the chance to visit there a few times. I'm guessing Jarrah is probably a little easier to obtain where you are!

Thanks Don. Figured Jarrah is harder to find. There is only one forest south of Perth. The Macore is from West Africa. Beautiful wood to work with hand tools.

You did very well to get a piece published - and a lovely piece it is too. Interesting woods! Can you say something about the construction? 

I suppose I could say that I have two entries in the same issue ... in a sense ... the tip about using blue tape to create a ledge for transferring dovetails was stolen from my website (or possibly these forums). Not the first time this has happened. I have had a few publications in FWW anyway.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Just got the issue in yesterday's mail. Had plans to look through it today, so I did so now. Beautiful work Don & congrats on hitting the big time. I'm guessing there are shelves behind the sliding doors. Are the fixed?

Jim
Jim
(09-27-2020, 09:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Can you say something about the construction? 

Derek,

Fairly standard frame and panel construction with sliding doors – although the upper and lower corners of the frame were a bit tricky because of the way the top and bottom side rails attach to the vertical stiles. Used a dual thru mortise and tenon for the rails – but the inboard tenon is “slotted” to allow for the stile tenons to fit around the rail tenon. The top (which is not shown) is book-matched and “butterflied” Anglim Pedro veneer with a Jarrah inlay banding around the edge.

Below is image with doors open showing rear Hermitage Cherry panel (The cherry was a bit "wild" so I decided it would be best as in the rear panel) . The project was for a local school – they wanted it for storing larger items and did not wish for any inner shelves.

Nice, Don. And the drawers? I’m a sucker for drawers. Where did you get the Jarrah!

Regards from Perth

Derek