How do you clean your saw blades
(10-17-2020, 09:45 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: All you fans of Simple Green need to be careful.   The orig. formula is harmful to carbide or its binders. 

They produce a lot of different kinds though. And some are just fine.  I don’t recall off hand which ones - which is why I steer clear of them for cleaning blades. Too much room for error and it’s not much less expensive than dedicated blade cleaner.

LA’s Totally Awesome has been approved by Freud as a suitable cleaner and only has one formula. Best part is it’s dirt cheap, available at The Depot and lots of Dollar Stores across the country. Works a treat , and I don’t have to think about whether I’ve got the right kind.

I think you are thinking of oven cleaner anything with lye can be harmful not only to your skin but to the blades as well. From what I have read simple green i ssafe for saw blades. Here is a link to what is in simple green

https://cdn.simplegreen.com/downloads/SD...leaner.pdf
Simple Green has another product for blades but from what I understand the regular stuff is fine even though they might advise against it. It comes down to liability for them. It's one of those things that in "real world" use, cleaning, the brazing and carbide does not really become compromised even though technically it could with long time exposure. I guess everyone should do some research and evaluate the information for themselves.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I've just used a can of spray on "Easy Bake" oven cleaner. Had the darn thing nearly 20 years and still going. Spray on, hit the first tooth with a little extra scrubbing (from a tooth brush), by the time you hit the last one it comes right off.
This used to be a regular topic of discussion on the forum, back in the day  It's been awhile since it last came up.

IIRC, there was a member here who worked for Freud and would sometimes post in these threads.  I hadn't saved it, but I did find this on another site from 2009.

Purportedly a quote from "Charles from Freud".  Take it for what it's worth.

"Definitely avoid oven cleaner and other caustics. They attack the cobalt binder in the carbide and can lead to carbide failure (translates to tiny missiles of carbide at 100+ mph). Also, Freud and some other brands of blades have a tri-metal brazing foil that uses copper alloy for a cushioning layer. The copper can also be affected by these cleaners (translates to larger missiles of carbide). We recommend soaking overnight in kerosene in a vented container and using a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean. Teflon coated plates will clean up with a soapy cloth (except for the teeth as mentioned earlier). There are commercial blade cleaning products that are not caustic but we don't officially sanction them. I've personally used Simple Green concentrate with good results."
I use CMT Bit/blade cleaner. I take a grocery store bag: plastic with paper inside: lay the blade on the flattened bag, and spray the teeth with liberal amount of cleaner. Let it sit, take old toothbrush and scrub away. The bag makes enough of a trough to capture the liquid and soak the underside of the blade. Works great, and you fold up the bag and toss it when finished. Low tech, but it works great.

(10-14-2020, 12:46 PM)briman87 Wrote: I think my freud general purpose blade needs to be cleaned.  I was wonder if you guys have those fancy pans from rockler or woodcraft that has the built in blade holder. Or do you just use a new oil pan to clean off the blades.  Also what do you find works the best to clean the blades and help with rust/build up
(10-19-2020, 12:27 PM)briman87 Wrote: I think you are thinking of oven cleaner anything with lye can be harmful not only to your skin but to the blades as well.  From what I have read simple green i ssafe for saw blades.  Here is a link to what is in simple green  

https://cdn.simplegreen.com/downloads/SD...leaner.pdf

Nope , absolutely not- Simple Green original from way back.

I can link you to a discussion on another forum where SG said so in writing.  Same thread also talked about SG products that do work fine and perhaps green SG is now ok.

As I previously said , I find no compelling reason to use it given the possibility I might have  the wrong version on hand, or buy  the wrong version , or ect....  It doesn't work any better than something with no issues.  Nor is it cheaper.   So why use it ?
(10-19-2020, 08:38 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Nope , absolutely not- Simple Green original from way back.

I can link you to a discussion on another forum where SG said so in writing.  Same thread also talked about SG products that do work fine and perhaps green SG is now ok.

As I previously said , I find no compelling reason to use it given the possibility I might have  the wrong version on hand, or buy  the wrong version , or ect....  It doesn't work any better than something with no issues.  Nor is it cheaper.   So why use it ?

I have read and seen on multiple videos one being the wood whisperer that simple green is fine to use, maybe the old formula was similar to oven cleaner. Do you happen to have an SDS sheet for the one you have. Of all the users on this thread you are the only one saying that Simple Green is bad to use. Charles from Freud has even said that he has personally used simple green
(10-20-2020, 08:32 AM)briman87 Wrote: I have read and seen on multiple videos one being the wood whisperer that simple green is fine to use, maybe the old formula was similar to oven cleaner.  Do you happen to have an SDS sheet for the one you have.  Of all the users on this thread you are the only one saying that Simple Green is bad to use.  Charles from Freud has even said that he has personally used simple green

OMG, the whisperer said it, it must be true.  
Rolleyes    He's talented and I like him, but he'll pimp anything that benefits him at that moment.   Then poof ; no loner flavor of the month.    I've heard from several old timers that swear by oven cleaner, and i read about it in a magazine.  And I've used it myself and am still hear and have that sawblade.   I think you know where I'm headed...............

No, I don't keep SDS sheets at hand, especially for products that I don't use.  Frankly I don't care whether you believe or agree with me, or even if it's true, or was true of the old stuff and no longer.   I've laid out why I think SG is a non stater. The biggest is it's not better than other things, nor is it cheaper.  In and of itself that's a good enough reason for me to choose something else.   The confusion over which type of SG is suitable  - or not - is secondary.   As is whether I got the dilution ratio correct.

Quickest confirmation with the relative info from SG's regulatory officer:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?...mple+green

This is the thread that touched off the discussion 15 years ago:
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.ph...post-12417

....and a followup :   

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.ph...ost-108040

And another email re-print from an SG email on the subject circa 2010:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?...Saw-Blades

Maybe most telling is what SG themselves recommends,  and it ain't regular SG:  
No
https://simplegreen.com/cleaning-tips/ro...aw-blades/

So, I put it to you again - given that SG is  not better or cheaper, why take a chance whether you've got HD, extreme, or aircraft instead of regular ?  Or whether I'm soaking or spray and wipe.  Might as well use oven cleaner.   Lots of guys have been lucky with that, and it works too !

Quote:Charles from Freud has even said that he has personally used simple green

Got a link to that ?   

Quote:Kev and all,

Kerosene is the recommended solvent to clean Freud carbide tips. Soak overnight in a sealed container and brush clean with a stiff nylon bristle brush. Some time ago I posted images taken with a SEM of damage done to carbide by a commercially available bit and blade cleaner. It is not myth or legend that strong caustics and strong acids will deteriorate carbide. This link should take you to the information that Simple Green has published on the matter:
http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...20Saw%20Blades
Quote:Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Y'all should use whatever pleases and works for you.   Plenty of effective choices out there.  Only, some are better than others.   Even soaking in water overnite and scrubbing with a brush the next morn will clean some blades.
Simple Green, HD as recommended by SG, or regular Simple Green works just fine. So does diluted or undiluted. The costs are so insignificant that they aren't even a factor-unless you clean each of your dozen blades every week.

Just soak the blade in the solution for half an hour to one and use a nylon brush to lightly scrub the teeth. I reuse the solution one more time, too. Why SG? It's readily found in the kitchen!

I no longer use oven cleaner because of its smell.

Simon
Does anyone have any empirical evidence that simple green damages saw blades? 

This thread is starting to sound like a dust collector grounding discussion.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!