Anyone here sharpen 1/8" bandsaw blades?
I use my 12" bandsaw for cutting lots of parts for toys and use the 1/8" blade a lot.  I sharpen my wider blades with a Dremel stone but wonder if anyone bothers sharpening their own 1/8" blades?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
How much does one of those blades cost?  I sharpen my sawmill blades but use an automatic grinder to do it.  They cost about $25 each.  If I had to do it by hand I doubt I would, even though they only have about 150 teeth.  How many teeth are on a 1/8" blade?  

John
John, 14 TPI on an 80inch blade. Bosch blades are 9.88 at Lowe’s, which is why I asked if it was worth it.
Jim

There is a good chance
I may have more money than since, but at $10 a blade, I'm not eager to sharpen 1,120 teeth.  I do touch up my 133" blades with 3 to 4 TPI with a Dremmel.   At 14 TPI the sharpening stone would have to be small!!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-13-2020, 12:13 PM)stoppy Wrote: John, 14 TPI on an 80inch blade. Bosch blades are 9.88 at Lowe’s, which is why I asked if it was worth it.

Sorry, I missed the way you worded your initial post.  At $10 the answer seems obvious.  1000+ teeth makes it really obvious.    

John
I have my deceased father's Craftsman 12" bandsaw set up with an 1/8" blade and cool blocks, to take the place of a scroll saw. The blade cost me about $18.00, or so, and was a premium quality blade.

I would just get a new blade.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
What is thickest stock one should use an 1/8 inch blade? I’m getting burn marks with a new Bosch blade on a 1/2 inch thick hardwood (oak). 12 inch Crafstman with a Carter guide.
Jim

There is a good chance
(11-16-2020, 10:44 PM)stoppy Wrote: What is thickest stock one should use an 1/8 inch blade? I’m getting burn marks with a new Bosch blade on a 1/2 inch thick hardwood (oak). 12 inch Crafstman with a Carter guide.

I have a 12" Craftsman saw, with a 1/8" blade and I've cut 1/2" pine without any issues, as well as 1/2" PVC sheet goods.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
My little one is 12" and my big one is 18".

re: sharpening - Personally, I've got better things to do with my time ;-)

A 1/8" blade is really for scroll sawing, not normal use in a bandsaw. You're usually looking at a high tooth count, hence the burning. Might do fine when new, but will deteriorate rapidly.

My 12" has a 1/4" 6 TPI blade in it 99% of the time.
I have sharpened files using vinegar. I know others have used other mild acids like muriatic acid and others. I wonder if the same would work on a fine toothed saw blade? I guess it would depend on how dull it is.