Cutting hss
1/4" thick bar of hss too long to make a turning tool. Best way to cut length in half? Bar if 1" wide.. thanks
Use an abrasive cutoff wheel. If you have a pneumatic grinder that works or even a Dremel with a small cut off wheel. You don't have to cut completely through. Cut around each side and snap it off in a vise.
(12-01-2020, 07:04 PM)Tim in Indiana Wrote: Use an abrasive cutoff wheel. If you have a pneumatic grinder that works or even a Dremel with a small cut off wheel. You don't have to cut completely through. Cut around each side and snap it off in a vise.

/\ this
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I once wanted to cut a long length of planer knife into shorter pieces and figured I'd use a wet tile saw, thinking it would keep the heat down.

I never got a chance as someone offered to water-jet it for me.
I've cut HSS before using a grinder and cutoff wheel, no problem.  I would research the wet tile saw usage, unless you change the blade I suspect it would not work with steel but that's purely speculation.
(12-02-2020, 11:17 PM)hcbph Wrote: I've cut HSS before using a grinder and cutoff wheel, no problem.  I would research the wet tile saw usage, unless you change the blade I suspect it would not work with steel but that's purely speculation.

My experience with diamond cutting tools is they are not to be used on ferrous metals. You normally use CBN abrasives on ferrous metals.

Diamond is used on non-ferrous materials such as aluminum, brass, copper, etc. While I expect it would work my understanding is the steel would quickly ruin the diamond abrasives.