RAS Cutoff Stop
Hi Karl,

Thanks for your comments. Is your unit the Broset Precision W1109?

Doug
(12-01-2020, 06:12 PM)rwalden Wrote: Hank --
While admiring your fence, I noticed a very familiar tool:  A Delta Radial Arm saw.  You have the Deluxe version as I recall -- it has the knobs up front.  Mine is the not-deluxe version.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to not include all of your pictures.

Take care,
Russ Walden  (from next door in Georgia

Hi, Russ,

Thanks for your comment. My RAS is a Rockwell Delta Super 900. My father bought it new in the late 1950s or early 1960s. Yours is a Super 990 or a Super 990-10, the model that replaced mine. Mine is a 9" saw. The Super 990 is also a 9" saw. The Super 900-10 came with a 10" blade guard, so I guess technically it is a 10" saw. I've had and used mine since my father passed away in 1989. I've thought several times about replacing it with a nice compound miter saw, but I just can't part with it.They are good saws. They stay in alignment well, unlike many of the more modern ones. Here is a link to the Super 990-10 on the Vintage Machinery web site:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?ID=19030

Cheers.

Hank
(11-29-2020, 12:46 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: Doug I have the 78-989 biesmeier type that museum guy referenced in his post , and I really like the way it works. I bought the ras with table fence system stop etc. and I really like it . It is quick to adjust, solid when set , adjustable and super accurate.
Juat my .02 Doug good luck on getting your saw setup!!
Gordon

PM sent to you, Gordon.

Doug
(12-02-2020, 11:31 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Hi, Russ,

Thanks for your comment. My RAS is a Rockwell Delta Super 900. My father bought it new in the late 1950s or early 1960s. Yours is a Super 990 or a Super 990-10, the model that replaced mine. Mine is a 9" saw. The Super 990 is also a 9" saw. The Super 900-10 came with a 10" blade guard, so I guess technically it is a 10" saw. I've had and used mine since my father passed away in 1989. I've thought several times about replacing it with a nice compound miter saw, but I just can't part with it.They are good saws. They stay in alignment well, unlike many of the more modern ones. Here is a link  to the Super 990-10 on the Vintage Machinery web site:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?ID=19030

Cheers.

Hank
Hi, Hank --

I bought mine new in 1971.  It was listed simply as "Rockwell Delta 10" Radial Saw," which was different from the Deluxe version only in accessories, not in functionality.  My guess is that I couldn't afford the price difference back then.  Had just bought a new home, had wife & kids, and stuff like that.  (Ignore the "175" on the front.  That came off my favorite dirt bike.)

It is a splendid tool, and has done an enormous amount of work over the years.  It functioned as my table saw until I could afford the 10" Delta Contractor's Saw.  I have remodeled two homes and built a considerable quantity of furniture with it, and it is still in regular use, especially since I retired.  My fear is that something will break or wear out and I won't be able to get it fixed.

This is the shop that it lives in: http://www.rwalden.com/rwshop.htm

Thanks for the link.  I enjoyed that.

Take care,
Russ
(12-01-2020, 12:53 PM)Tapper Wrote: Update #2

A closer inspection of the Biesemeyer clone listed above (Woodstock Broset Precision W1109) is troubling. Amazon reviews basically tear it apart. Out of curiosity I called Router Bit World, a company that sells it to get a feel for its quality. Speaking to Richard their rep, was enlightening. He was well familiar with the original Biesemeyer product and basically said this product didn't hold a candle to it. I was thankful for his candor.

So, I'm on the hunt for an original Biesemeyer 78-989 stop. Since Delta bought Biesemeyer many years ago, and then were bought out themselves, this product got "lost in the shuffle" and is no longer made to my knowledge. Couldn't even find one on Ebay. If anyone knows of a source for one of the originals or by chance has one they'd consider unloading, please let me know.

Thanks,

Doug

Access to a wire welder? You could fab one up.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-02-2020, 02:55 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Access to a wire welder? You could fab one up.

I may have access to one - will have to check that out. Would do it as a last resort, but thanks for the suggestion.

Doug
A block of wood at each end of a strip of 1/4" thick wood at least a foot long can work. The length allows you to clamp it to the fence or table far enough from the action to be out of the way, as was mentioned earlier. The flexible strip allows bending it out of the way for longer cuts without any slop lengthwise in the stop distance. It also can be positioned as a stop beyond the end of the fence.
(12-01-2020, 09:51 PM)Tapper Wrote: Hi Karl,

Thanks for your comments. Is your unit the Broset Precision W1109?

Doug

I didn't go looking for mine, but mine looks just like the Borset.
My .02
Karl

(11-27-2020, 01:03 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: https://incra.com/jig_fixture-tracks.html

I am installing the incra track and shop stop option from incra on a miter stand. The teeth that allow exact repositioning was the selling point.

Karl,

I have the Incra system on my router table with the shop stop and on my table saw miter gauge with the flip stop; like them both. Would be interested in a few pics of your setup when you get it completed.

Thanks,

Doug
Got me thinking. I also have a Incra 1000se. Love the micro adjust for fine tuning. Might look at making a ras fence to use the flip stop from the 1000se.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer