Metal cap for gate
This is the the second time I have had to make this 10' gate. The first one a horse cribbed on it exposing the wood and it rotted. I do not want that to happen again, that hose also no longer resides at our house. This is a 10' long gate 3" wide. It is made by laminating milled 2x lumber to size and painted. My thought is to run a metal cap along the top and have it fold down the sides 1-2". I am thinking my only option is to see if a metal fabricator can do this. I am not sure where I would even start trying to find a 10' length of sheet metal. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this cap?
A piece of metal roofing? You might be able to find a leftover piece from a roofer. Or what about a seamless gutter supplier? They might be able to form a piece for you or at least sell you a piece that is long enough. In either case you'd get something that was already intended for outdoor use and painted.
(12-14-2020, 02:35 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: A piece of metal roofing?

Or copper flashing.  Easy to bend.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
And copper flashing could look cool.
wish I could find the video...saw one where a jig or scroll saw was used to cut a kerf in a piece of lumber/plywood in the profile (cross section) of the desired sheetmetal. The flat sheetmental was pulled thru the kerf, in essence acting like a break...the overall length of the kerf needed to be the same, within reason, as the width of the flat stock...sure seemed simple...
A standard residential downspout is either 2" x 3" or 3" x 4" and come in 10' lengths.  Maybe cut one side off and slip over/screw on?  Less than $20 in either PVC or aluminum.  Cheaper to replace that regularely if it gets damaged.
(12-14-2020, 05:10 PM)NickNC Wrote: A standard residential downspout is either 2" x 3" or 3" x 4" and come in 10' lengths.  Maybe cut one side off and slip over/screw on?  Less than $20 in either PVC or aluminum.  Cheaper to replace that regularely if it gets damaged.

This was my thought as well, cheap and no custom fabrication.
Any decent roofer that does metal roofs should have a 10' brake that will handle steel coil stock. It's a lot heavier than a brake used for aluminum. If you think aluminum will be tough enough, than a lot of the suppliers of vinyl siding will have a brake on site that you can use. The quick jig works on thin tempered aluminum flashing. It's just a piece of plywood with slots cut between 1/4" holes. It works, but not good enough for fully exposed. I've done it a few times and the results were not consistent nor perfect. I do a much better job (and almost as fast) clamping that type aluminum to my ladder and creasing/bending it a few times with my finger and thumb.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Here's another thought. Cut a slot in 4" sched. 20 or a segment out of sched. 40 PVC pipe so it's a little too tight to put it on without some force. I'd think it would be uncomfortable to chew the 4" diameter.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Any supplier that sells metal sheeting for roofs and buildings can fashion you up a piece pretty quick. Most have benders in the warehouse.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020