I need a new jigsaw!
I don't have a band saw, and sometimes I need to cut curves, etc.   I use my jigsaw, but I get terrible results.   I've had a few jigsaws in my time and the ALL have blade flex,  The cut is never at a 90 degree.   Are there any jigsaws that leave a cut worthwhile?
(12-18-2020, 09:33 AM)AlanS Wrote: I don't have a band saw, and sometimes I need to cut curves, etc.   I use my jigsaw, but I get terrible results.   I've had a few jigsaws in my time and the ALL have blade flex,  The cut is never at a 90 degree.   Are there any jigsaws that leave a cut worthwhile?

I have both jig saw and band saw.I have no issues with curves when using the jig saw.if I take my time and cut slowly.My jig saw is a DeWalt if that makes a difference.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(12-18-2020, 09:33 AM)AlanS Wrote: I don't have a band saw, and sometimes I need to cut curves, etc.   I use my jigsaw, but I get terrible results.   I've had a few jigsaws in my time and the ALL have blade flex,  The cut is never at a 90 degree.   Are there any jigsaws that leave a cut worthwhile?

I've had two dewalt jigsaws that make great curves.  The current was is even a cordless 20v.  I love it compared to the corded version as chasing a cord while cutting curves is a pain.   I've had no issues with battery life as my batteries are all 5 amh-hour.   I sold my corded version two years ago.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Maybe your issue lies with the blades you're using. I use only Bosch blades and have no complaints.
I was able to get the dewalt cordless jigsaw for free after buying the battery pack set. They may still have this deal going on. I got mine during black friday. Also have seen that bosch blades are some of the best for clean cuts.
(12-18-2020, 09:50 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Maybe your issue lies with the blades you're using.  I use only Bosch blades and have no complaints.

Good quality blades do make a difference.My DeWalt jig saw is rather heavy so it turns smoothly.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
A good jigsaw is much better and easier to use, no doubt,   I upgraded to a higher end model and will never go back to the cheap ones.

But a  lot the problem with angled curve cuts is operator error.  You have to 'spin' or 'rotate' the saw on the centerline of the blade and most people don't do that. You push the back of the saw and are twisting and/or pushing the saw blade causing the blade to bend.  It is not a natural feeling movement but it makes a HUGE differnce in the quality of you cut.

Blade size is also very important but the narrower you get the more important it is to rotate the saw on the centerline of the blade.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

(12-18-2020, 09:50 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Maybe your issue lies with the blades you're using.  I use only Bosch blades and have no complaints.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A very capable , powerful and precise jigsaw is made by Mafell.    It only comes in a barrel grip style and costs as much a some entry level bandsaws.

Festool's Trion is also pretty good , comes in a top handle @ $300

Bosch has long been regarded as the best "normal' jigsaw and their current TOL model still delivers.

Lots of guys are happy with the current DeWalt jigsaw.
I love most of the Milwaukee M12 line, but I hate my jigsaw. Then again, I hated my Bosch 1590 and the Craftsman jigsaw I had before it. So I really just hate every jigsaw I've ever encountered and my advise would be to get a bandsaw, which I avoided for a long time and now deeply love. But I am biased.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!