I need to cut a hole in wood. Simple right?
Know anyone with a cnc machine?

Thats what I would use.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(12-22-2020, 09:53 AM)Kudzu Wrote: Dowel stock and cut to length?
It would be all end-grain.  It might be OK.  But that might be an issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Do you have a lathe?

Turn spindles the diameter of the disks and slice to thickness.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-22-2020, 10:11 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Know anyone with a cnc machine?

Thats what I would use.

I do know a few guys with CNCs, but this is something I'll need to do one or two of occasionally, and I can't really bulk them out.
(12-22-2020, 07:45 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Do you have a lathe?

Turn spindles the diameter of the disks and slice to thickness.
Yeah, unfortunately the end grain won't usually work. I'm doing sort of a marquetry thing, so choosing just the right grain/color is an important part of the process. Thanks!
Make a template by drilling holes in a hunk of mdf. Double stick the material to a backer waste board, mdf template on top and use a router with a pattern bit. Easy peasy.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(12-22-2020, 10:03 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Make a template by drilling holes in a hunk of mdf. Double stick the material to a backer waste board, mdf template on top and use a router with a pattern bit. Easy peasy.

I think we have a winner! That method also lets me frame the piece so I see exactly what I'm getting. I think I'll sandwich the keeper piece stuck between a second piece of mdf, just to make sure it doesn't lift up and get destroyed be the router bit. Thank you!
(12-23-2020, 02:22 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I think we have a winner! That method also lets me frame the piece so I see exactly what I'm getting. I think I'll sandwich the keeper piece stuck between a second piece of mdf, just to make sure it doesn't lift up and get destroyed be the router bit. Thank you!

I misread your original requirement. By "The discs need to vary in size ranging from 1/2" to maybe 1 1/4"," I thought your disc size needed to be anything between (from- to) those two sizes. eg a dia of 1-1/32" or even, 17/18".

Simon
This seems to be what you need, thanks to our Host.

https://www.woodsmith.com/article/cleane...e-cutting/

Dave
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
(12-23-2020, 03:00 PM)Dave Crow Wrote: This seems to be what you need, thanks to our Host.

https://www.woodsmith.com/article/cleane...e-cutting/

Dave

See thewalnutguy's post above.

Simon