Rubio Monocoat
My go-to finish is typically three coats of Arm-R-Seal.  Looks great, lots of protection.  I am finishing a walnut cabinet and I am looking for more of a natural, oil-looking, non-plastic-y look you get from wipe on poly.  I have read about Rubio Monocoat - supposedly produces a look like oil and fairly durable.  I see the Wood Whisperer put out a video on it.  Is this my solution?  Anyone use it and can comment?  As always, very much appreciate the advice...FPT.
(12-29-2020, 11:35 AM)fptahoe Wrote: My go-to finish is typically three coats of Arm-R-Seal.  Looks great, lots of protection.  I am finishing a walnut cabinet and I am looking for more of a natural, oil-looking, non-plastic-y look you get from wipe on poly.  I have read about Rubio Monocoat - supposedly produces a look like oil and fairly durable.  I see the Wood Whisperer put out a video on it.  Is this my solution?  Anyone use it and can comment?  As always, very much appreciate the advice...FPT.

I tried Rubio.  I like Osmo Polyx better. Super-easy to use and just the look you are after.

I just finished 12ft of Mahogany countertops with their top oil - almost the same thing, but food safe.

Using an ROS set lowest over a white non-woven pad is very fast. (Don;'t need a special pad)

This guy uses the sander as one step - you can start there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRjNu1bINYo

https://www.blacktailstudio.com/blog/how...dusty-shop
(01-04-2021, 08:59 PM)jerrym303 Wrote: https://www.blacktailstudio.com/blog/how...dusty-shop

Rubio is nice, but a royal PIA.  It's expensive too.

I've settled on OSMO now too.
(01-04-2021, 09:21 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Rubio is nice, but a royal PIA.  It's expensive too.

I've settled on OSMO now too.

How are both products against water and household chemicals?  

John
Thanks Jerrym and Cabinet Monkey.  I ordered some from Lee Valley last night.  Will let you know how it turns out.

John, this piece will go in a space where I shouldn't have to worry about the finish being damaged.  I would be interested in the answer to your question, though, if one of the others will weigh in.  Thx again, guys.
I have never used this stuff, but I find it interesting.

This from HOUZZ:

Avoid Rubio Monocoat if you have a dog!!
Randy Nash
3 years ago

There is something we learned the hard way about Rubio Monocoat finishes for wood floors. If you have a dog, his saliva will leave a permanent stain on the floor that can only be removed by refinishing that area. UGH.
Our floor has grey dog saliva polka dots all over it, after just a few months. BOO.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.